Paul Carter

Just got my new surface grinder attachment!

Well I just got my surface grinder attachment. A friend of mine made it for me. I added the Hurst shifter handle for my own hotrod tastes! I tried it out with a 60 grit belt so far[have some finer grits on order]. It grinds fast and so far within .0005" anywhere I measure it with an actual micrometer, not a pair of calipers. I think with the finer belts it will grind even closer tolerances. This is really going to speed up making Damascus. Can't wait to get using it regularly, along with my new press. The size of it is 3" x 15". The aluminum table is not ground flush with the magnets so it has plenty of holding power but not so much you can't get the work off. He made a stop that slides into any of the slots to hold the work from sliding down slowly as you grind. It think this feature will allow the grinding of thinner metal without pulling warps flat only to have them come back worse when you pull the piece off.

surfacegrinder001.jpg

surfacegrinder002.jpg

surfacegrinder003.jpg

Nice!  I want to make one of those, and the Hurst shifter is a nice touch. B)

Good for you, Paul.  Bet you are really excited.  One of the tools I miss most from my old machine shop is the surface grinder.  When I first saw one of these that was designed for our 2x72 grinders I almost wet my pants wishing for one.  But I didn't even have the grinder part of the equation yet.  Now that I've the grinder (just got it a couple of days ago) the magnetic bed is on the wish list.

Nice!  I am officially jealous. Of all the tools on my wish list, a surface grinder would save me the most time by far.

• Like 1

You sir, do indeed suck :)

I really need to build one of those.  Do you have a way to measure flatness as well as thickness?  

Posted (edited)

We have a 24" x 30" x 6" granite slab at work that is machined extremely flat. I tested these pieces I ground on it and they are flat but that's not saying much since they started out flat. I need to test a piece that is forged and not so flat to see what it does, and how thin of a piece I can grind before the magnets start sucking the warp out of it.

Edited by Paul Carter

A friend built it for me. He saw a Youtube video and got the parts list from it. I'll see if I can get that info from him.

Forgot to mention, this surface grinder also has a tilt feature so I can grind Distal tapers too.