Sign in to follow this  
Brian Dougherty

Looking for help with a utility hunter design

A very old friend has asked to me make a knife as a present for his oldest son who is finishing up his graduate degree, and heading into a life in forestry.  He has some pretty strong opinions on what his son will like. 

What he wants is a utility field/hunting knife.  He is very fond of the Victorinox 6" Fibrox boning knife for general utility, but wants to incorporate a thumb rest along the spine like the Schrade Old Timer Deerslayer.  I have pictures of these, but don't feel I should post them as the pics are not my property.  Here are some links:

Deerslayer

Victorinox

I've done a few sketches, and he has really fallen in love with this concept.  I've refined the sketch a bit, but would like to hear what you all think.  Knife design is a weak point of mine.

I've talked him into making the blade stiffer than a typical boning knife, and plan to make this one about 1/8" thick at the ricasso.  The blade will be SS/carbon san mai.  My friend plans to provide some walnut root wood from the family homestead.  Not sure about any other details yet.

scan (1).jpg

I like the design but it doesn't seem like a good choice for someone starting a career in  forestry.  Maybe ask his son what he prefers unless it's a surprise gift 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I probably should have been more clear.  The knife isn't intended to be his EDC on the job.  The guy is an avid hunter, and this is to be more for that.

The two knives referenced are the favorite users of the guy who will get the knife.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Those two styles of knife are so far apart, it's very hard to picture a combination of the two.  I think you did a great job.  I've hunted with an Old Timer for the past 20 years or so.  I've gotten so used to having such a large blade in hand that I have to force myself to downsize most of the knives I make.

• Thanks 1

He is going to love it.  I like the hint of a classic tanto shape hiding in the spirit of the design 

The one sugestion I would make is to lower the point of the thumbrest and move it forward a fraction.I make a few of my designs with a thumbrest and in general the slightly lower and easuer curve to the ramp is an advantage. It will also take the sharp fin look away from the blade. This is a couple of my designs and you can see that even with the ramp the blade dosent look too "peaky". The placement of the thumbrest point is dependent on the what the knife will be used for, as to whether it is a power use, a stabilising use or even just for looks

tr 1.pngtr2.png 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Garry, I like the subtleness of the one on your knife with the upswept tip. I may see if I can talk them into reducing the thumb rest a bit.  This isn't a terribly large knife, so I'm assuming he is more looking for control than power.  (Although looks me by a part of it too...)

• Like 1

Ok, so I reworked this based on Garry's feedback.  I like it better this way, but will let the customer make the call.

IMG_20200520_183118_01.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Ok, so I reworked this based on Garry's feedback.  I like it better this way, but will let the customer make the call.

I was going to say "Noo! I like the pointy peak look".  Then I saw your drawing and totally agree that it is even better.  I am not one to listen to on design features (case in point here).  Definitely don't have the eye that apparently most on this forum have.  I look forward to seeing for finished knife.  

I hear you @Jerrod Miller.  I'm pretty successful as an engineer, and a reasonably good craftsman.  However what I think looks "Pleasing" in terms of design is often seen as "Odd" by others.  Makes sense.  I am often seen as "Odd" by others...

I told my friend about the feedback here and sent him the new sketch.  He said "far be it from me to turn down the Pros from Dover's advice" and suggested I aim for something in between.