billyO

"King Arthur: Legend of the Sword" sword?

Posted (edited)

Good morning all. Last night one of my housemates was watching the 2017 movie and we were wondering who forged the sword for the movie.  I couldn't find any info using Google-foo, so does anyone know the answer?

Thank you.

Edited by billyO

21 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Couldn't find it either, but here's the full credits

Thanks Alan.  I hope you didn't spend much time looking through that list, because I already tries that site and went through the list too.  I didn't recognize any of the names of the armorers though. (I guess I should have said that to save you the time, I apologize).

I didn't waste a lot of time, just wasn't sure you'd read the full list.  

Posted (edited)

As I recall, with most movies or shows like this, there a one or two steel swords used for eye candy shots. They are created by the armourers and then a bunch of basic aluminum stand-ins are made for action shots. I know that in the Witcher series, in most of the fighting scenes, he isn't even holding a sword, just a hilt and guard combo and the blade is added in post. Usually, when a sword is created for a show or movie, the rights to the sword are usually owned by the studio itself, and the maker is given little if any credit beyond a quick mention in the credits.

Edited by Brian Myers

It's so rare for the maker to get credit on screen that I'm not sure it's ever actually happened.  Weta Workshop for LOTR, but that's about it.  The named armorers in the credits usually don't make the stuff, they just procure it.  But yes, one or two steels for glamor shots, the rest either aluminum or rubber with a carbon fiber core.  It's funny, I've met three or four guys who have made movie prop swords, and their names are never in the credits.  You just have to know.  Like, Jody Samson made the original Atlantean sword for Conan the Barbarian, Gil Hibben did most of the Klingon blades for Star Trek TNG the TV series, and a couple of guys here on the forums have done a few as well but don't mention it for contractual reasons.  Lots of NDCs in show biz.  If you want to hear what one of said guys I've met who do movie swords has to say about the whole deal, check out 

• Like 1

I believe that Tod from the video above actually made the hero props for the witcher series, I was actually looking for who made them, but it is impossible to find the swordmaker in the credits of the series itself.

Then when watching some of Tod´s excellent youtube videos he mentioned somewhere, that he worked on the Witcher series. 

Thats probably why the swords looked so good and believable.;)

He did. ;)

The video was brilliant. Working in show business is like working at a dog park. Everyone is peeing on trees.

• Haha 1