"King Arthur: Legend of the Sword" sword?

Good morning all. Last night one of my housemates was watching the 2017 movie and we were wondering who forged the sword for the movie.  I couldn't find any info using Google-foo, so does anyone know the answer?

Thank you.

Edited by billyO
21 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Couldn't find it either, but here's the full credits

Thanks Alan.  I hope you didn't spend much time looking through that list, because I already tries that site and went through the list too.  I didn't recognize any of the names of the armorers though. (I guess I should have said that to save you the time, I apologize).

As I recall, with most movies or shows like this, there a one or two steel swords used for eye candy shots. They are created by the armourers and then a bunch of basic aluminum stand-ins are made for action shots. I know that in the Witcher series, in most of the fighting scenes, he isn't even holding a sword, just a hilt and guard combo and the blade is added in post. Usually, when a sword is created for a show or movie, the rights to the sword are usually owned by the studio itself, and the maker is given little if any credit beyond a quick mention in the credits.

Edited by Brian Myers

It's so rare for the maker to get credit on screen that I'm not sure it's ever actually happened.  Weta Workshop for LOTR, but that's about it.  The named armorers in the credits usually don't make the stuff, they just procure it.  But yes, one or two steels for glamor shots, the rest either aluminum or rubber with a carbon fiber core.  It's funny, I've met three or four guys who have made movie prop swords, and their names are never in the credits.  You just have to know.  Like, Jody Samson made the original Atlantean sword for Conan the Barbarian, Gil Hibben did most of the Klingon blades for Star Trek TNG the TV series, and a couple of guys here on the forums have done a few as well but don't mention it for contractual reasons.  Lots of NDCs in show biz.  If you want to hear what one of said guys I've met who do movie swords has to say about the whole deal, check out 

• Like 1

I believe that Tod from the video above actually made the hero props for the witcher series, I was actually looking for who made them, but it is impossible to find the swordmaker in the credits of the series itself.

Then when watching some of Tod´s excellent youtube videos he mentioned somewhere, that he worked on the Witcher series. 

Thats probably why the swords looked so good and believable.;)

The video was brilliant. Working in show business is like working at a dog park. Everyone is peeing on trees.

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but was having a browse and noticed this.

When there isn't a pandemic going on I normally work within an armoury department for the UK film industry (though usually doing leatherwork). I did not have any involvement in this particular movie but personally know the team who did and have worked with them many times on other films. I certainly recognise the imdb names and am friends with many of them! In this case I believe the hero swords were made in house. Rather than individual craftspeople working from their own workshop, each department is brought in and setup under one roof within a film studio. It is generally speaking quite rare that any one person will make a complete piece from start to finish. Each person has their own skills and specialities, and jobs are allocated accordingly. So for example in a sword like the King Arthur excalibur prop, the blade would most likely be milled out of aluminium, the pattern welding effect would be CAD designed, printed onto a vinyl sticker, and used as an acid etching template, the hilt components would be sculpted or carved by a sculptor/modelmaker, moulded, and sent to a foundry, and the handle wrap would be done by a leatherworker. So while the initial design may have come from one hand, the final product could easily be the work of many people within the team. This is not always the case but in my experience it often is. One thing I can say with pretty much absolute certainty is that the sword in question was not forged.  

Things are done a little differently in film, and I have so far never been on a job where any forging work occurred at all, and it would be very unusual if it did. In my experience sword blades are almost always aluminium, or occasionally steel for hero props, with cast urethane versions for the extras. Prop making is it's own skillset and the background of those within a film team is usually in model making, sculpting, mould making, painting, CAD, and other such skills, so geared quite specifically towards props rather than authentically made weapons. The makers (myself included) for the most part do not solidly do armoury work, but will work within different departments making completely different things from job to job depending on what work is available. I think I am fairly unusual in trying to get involved with armoury department stuff due to having an outside interest in historical weapons. 

Tod's video is very good and raises some good points about necessary compromises to fulfil the various requirements. Anyway I hope this sheds some light on the process!

Alex

Edited by Alex Ostacchini
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 9:24 AM, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

I believe that Tod from the video above actually made the hero props for the witcher series

And here we continue this excellent discussion!  

• Like 2

Just recently turned on to Tod's channel.

Very interesting gentleman.

I always enjoyed shooting stuff at different things to see what it does.