Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Wilson

Vise and hardy stand

First post. Started interest in bladesmithing about 12 years ago and read this forum all the time. Got some equipment and even made a few knife shaped objects. Well life happens, get married, lose job, go back to school, get new job, get better job and jump neck deep in rat race. Now quarantine, chance to slow down and put things in perspective. Time to clean garage and go through tools and past hobbies. It’s easier with a welder now. I would like to do some blacksmithing occasionally. 

Changed out the fire pot in homemade forge and replaced my anvil (4” jack hammer bit) stand. Now I need to make a stand for a vise and figure put a hardy hole on the top. I have a 3/8 wall 4” tube for support and a 1” steel plate for the top that is 4” wide and I’m figuring 7” long. Also some 1” ID 1/4” tube for horizontal hardy. I found the ID pipe to attach my Cole Manufacturing vise to the side.  I know the base is a little small at 14” but I’m bolting it to 18”, 1” thick plate for now until I can get something bigger. I want to be able move it. Have to forge in driveway. 
Just wanted to see if there are any suggestions or ideas that would make it better. 

8BA71589-7A57-44BF-937D-47F439F0E243.jpeg

Not sure quite what your design is, but the first volume (black) of Mark Aspery's books, shows a rather functional portable vise stand design.

Your vise doesn't look to be enormous, and I think I know the design Gerald is talking about.  It is really neat and portable.

My vise is a little 50lber but I like having the versatility of putting it wherever I want, until . . . if ever . . . I can make a real work shop . . . after I retire.  For that I made a round base so that I could tip it and wheel it wherever without picking it up. I've also seen them mounted in old steel wheels which probably works, but not solid enough for my taste.

My base and stand is, 4 4x4 posts, and a 3/4in circle of ply wood about 3 feet across. Works for most operations accept bending big long stuff.

Yeah, I’m probably overthinking this and trying to do too much. I will look at some other designs. Thanks

Had some time today. Decided to go with my original plan. It’s pretty solid and it will be nice to have a vise and hardy by my anvil. Thanks for the replies

236284AA-099A-4756-B586-A2BB8FAC4055.jpeg

That looks pretty good, actually.  

Very nice.  I hope you don't mind, but I copied your pic to add to my folder of home made anvils.  Hy did you make the square hole for your hardy holder?

Geoff

Not a problem. It’s a 4” diameter jack hammer bit cut to 25”. I don’t remember why 25” but I had a reason 10 years ago. The hardy took as long as the assembly.  I drilled 1/8 holes in the corners, then various bits to 1” in center. I used harbor freight step bit, go slow. Then I drilled another 1/8 hole on each side of the corner. Then hacksaw out the corners through the holes. Then a a few hours with a file to flatten the sides. First and probably last hardy hole

How about drill an oversized hole, drop in a piece of square tube and fill weld it in place and grind smooth.  I've never done this, but it ought to work.

Geoff