R. Alex Dorris

Anyone know the name of this component?

hey guys, maybe a dumb question,  but is there an official name for a sort of metal sleeve that come up from the bolster, around the ricasso? Like the copper part in this pic:Screenshot_20200521-112050_Chrome.jpg

I really like the look, and I want to research it for my own use, but don't know the name. Thanks!

Alex

Its a form of Habaki.

This looks like a modern interpretation of a habaki, the metal sleeve at the base of Japanese swords. Traditionally habaki are metal sleeves (brass, copper, silver, sometimes gold plated), slightly tapered that function to secure the sword in its wood scabbard (saya) by a close friction fit. They were sometimes textured on the flat surfaces, or pierced & profiled to add some additional aesthetic flair. The one above doesn't seem to be there as a scabbard fitting, but it does look pretty cool!

You can also look up bolsters. It's not the same but sometimes bolsters are designed as a sleeve around a blade, particularity on some Middle Eastern blades like yatagans, kards & bichaq. There may be a specific term for these "bolsters", but I'm not aware it.

Collar?  A ferrule is usually a piece that goes around a handle, but that sort of fits (:P) as well.  A habaki is usually folded and soldered.  I  have made these sort of thing by milling it out of a single block, like this one

IMG_1600 (Medium).JPG

Geoff

• Like 1

If it's on a Japanese-style blade, it's a habaki, otherwise it's a blade collar.  But habaki (not hibachi! ;)) will get you the most results in a search.