Couple sheaths for couple knives

Here's the latest in my sheath making. On left is a saddle tan. On the right is chocolate, it almost looks black. Hand saddle stitched. Both have a nice welt sewed in as not to cut the threads. These turned out fairly well I think. Learning on each one! 

Need to make another knife to try stamping/ carving leather. 

2 Knife sheaths.jpg

• Like 2

One thing to be carefull of is the groove you have inside the stiching groove and in particular on the tan sheath at the tip of the sheath it shows two strokes with fading in both and the black one looks to have a blunt groover or a stop start stroke. When a knife is presented in the sheath these things do stand out and may disuade a potential buyer.

• Like 1

Those are nice. And a customer probably wouldn’t see the issues Garry pointed out. I have found as a novice knife maker and leather worker customers don’t see the flaws. I will always point them out to them, but they don’t seem to care. Get a stitching groover. I like the one with the bar that does the spacing. Then buy another one to do your accent lines? I’m not sure on the terminology. Take it easy laying those lines out. It helps if you have your leather glued together and even on the edges. I use a belt sander to do this. A sharp knife and sandpaper will do the same. Go slow and keep pressure on the outside. It’s a rather difficult skill to master. Don’t be discouraged, those are nice sheaths!

All the best, Jon

Thank you for the insight. Neither of the lines were cut with a groover. Just the blunt tool that it comes with. I used that same tool for the stitch line. Then used stitching irons for the holes. I watched a lot of videos before going this direction. I personally like this way better than the round holes. Probably shouldn't of gone over the line more than once. It just didn't look deep enough. These are the first 2 that I put those on. I know the stitches aren't even as I pulled some harder than others. The backstitches are something to desired as well. That's a tough skill to master, but I'll practice some more. I've only made 5 total sheaths while learning with each one. I have very thick skin and welcome criticism. I haven't intended to sell at all...for now. I want to try stamping and carving on sheaths as well. I may make these over again. Or just make more knives to make more sheaths! 

Thank you again...I do appreciate it!