Mike Haverstock

Motors for sale for 2x72 grinders

Posted (edited)

Hello all,

I’m new to the forum, actually brand new to blade making. I was bit by the forged in fire bug. In my quest to find a motor for a 2x72 I happened upon a guy that did factory clean outs when they shut down. I ended up buying 25 motors from the guy. 1.5 to 3hp. All 3 phase, so if you’re going vfd they are perfect. Some 1725, some 3400-3600. 56c and 145T. The 56’s have 5/8” shafts and the 145!s have 7/8” shafts. All unimount. They have the mounting plate plus c-face mounting. All TEFC.  All brand new in the box and will be test run on a vfd before sending out. Are all vfd’s the same like the KB’s if you’re going to run on 115v you only get 1.5hp? Anyway I figured I’d offer them up here before going to eBay. I have a Fedex account and can get cheaper shipping. My zip is 46635. South Bend In if anyone is close. I was thinking $120-$150 plus shipping depending on hp. If anyone is interested just let me know what parameters you want and I’ll let you know what I have. They are a mix of baldor, Us Motors, and Emerson. Thanks for all the info on this site and if anyone lives close I’d love to see your setups and share info. 

BA241C81-47F7-4AF9-B64D-74DB00976757.jpeg

Edited by Mike Haverstock
Wrong picture

I took a road trip down to see Mike today and picked up one of these motors.  Brand new, in the box, and ran like a champ when he hooked it up to his VFD.  Exactly as advertised.  Now I'm looking forward to getting started on my grinder build.

Glad to meet you Alex! I learned a lot from our 2 hour conversation haha....my girlfriend is mad because today is my birthday and she made a lot of plans, and I’m late....lol. Let me know how the curly maple works for you. Now if you stabilize it, will the curly still show through?

You should have said something!  Happy birthday BTW.  I hate to piss her off, she wont let me come back then.  :D

I dont see why the curls wouldn't show through.  I'll have to try a couple of pieces and find out.

14 hours ago, Mike Haverstock said:

Now if you stabilize it, will the curly still show through?

14 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

I dont see why the curls wouldn't show through. 

I don't see why either.  I've stabilized a lot of curly big leaf maple.  Here's an example of a piece stabilized by K&G, sanded to 400g on the grinder, then finished with a loose wheel buffing wheel with compund:

20190630_153523.jpg

It also looks pretty good dyed, (especially black, IMO):

20191016_144528.jpg

4 hours ago, Mike Haverstock said:

I’m going to have to order some of the Cayuse juice.

Just to be clear, these were all done by K&G.  Cactus juice results may be different.  I have no experience with cactus juice on curly figure.

I got another load of motors in if anyone is interested. From 1.5hp to 5hp. All new 3phase. Just let me know what parameters you’re looking for and I’ll tell you what I have. Thanks!

Just to be clear:  You can run these 3ph motors on single household 1ph (230-240 vac) only if you have a VFD, yes?

If so, where's the best place to buy a VFD?

Mike, typical shipping for a 2 hp to Madison, AL (35758)?

Thanks!

Yes you need a vfd to run them. If you want only 1 speed then you can get a single phase motor with no vfd. But with the vfd you run it from pretty slow to faster than the base Rpm of the motor.

i got my KB electronics KBDA-27 off eBay for $340. You can use the cheaper vfd’s but the housing isn’t NEMA 4x protected. If you use one of the $100 ones, you’d need to put it in an enclosure to protect it from the grinding dust. 

around $22 for a 2hp to Alabama. $20 for a 1.5hp. $165 shipped for the 2hp. $145 for the 1.5hp. I’ve only got a few left. They have been selling really good on eBay. 

I just picked up a Clausing 5914 lathe today that I’m going to put a vfd on. I need a 5hp vfd, but I’m going to go with the cheaper kind because there’s no grinding dust to worry about. 

Ok, let's get this show on the road; I got the grinder, now I need a motor.

Mike, I need the equivalent motor to the nameplate in the pic below.  Basics:  2 hp, 3 ph, Frame = 56C (56HC suitable for 56, 143T or 145T frame mounting dimensions), RPM = 3450-3600.

Total price to 38449.  PM me your business and address and I'll send you a check or cash, your preference, or an on-line site where I can buy.

Thanks,

Al

IMG_20200622_132946880_HDR (Large).jpg

Do you have a drive pulley yet? If so is it 5/8” or 7/8”. 56 frame motors are 5/8”. 145 frames are 7/8”. If you don’t have a drive pulley already you can use either. But if you have one then you need to get a motor with the right shaft. Also are you face mounting or base mounting?

Answers in order:

Yes, you can see the drive pulley in the 2nd pic below on the right.

5/8" (my bad for not mentioning this - very important).

Both.  The motor is face mounted to the grinder (3/8" socket head screws); the VFD is mounted to the motor baseplate.  As long as there's a baseplate and it has holes - I'm good.

This is the grinder I got, a Black Fox One.  I got everything shown here except the motor and VFD.  It's hard to see, but the VFD is mounted to the motor baseplate via a simple bracket, which I'll make.

Thanks Mike!

Black Fox 2x72 1.jpg

Black Fox 2x72 Grinder 2.jpg

And automation direct is out, Surplus Center no 2hp 3ph motors.  A day late and a dollar short - as usual.