Posted (edited)

So I've upgraded my forge now I have a but more confidence however I pulled this design from a blacksmith on YouTube. In principle it works. My steel goes orange nicely however, the yellow part of my fire in as lower than the rim. Yet I see multiple blacksmiths use coal forges where they have a nice pile of fire on the top. Where am I going wrong? I'm having to Bury my steel int the coals to get it hot and so cannot heat the sections I need. 

(the attached forge does have coal in it now before someone says that is the problem) 

The second image is where I've had to expose the core to get any heat

The last image is how it's meant to look but doesn't 

IMG_20200523_130731.jpg

15902534017955771481032314633777.jpg

Screenshot_20200523_180640_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Edited by Mark Robson

Question, how deep is your central area? It only needs to be a couple of inches. 

As for your design, you have your central fire pot surrounded by sloping sides. It would be better if this was flat instead. This allows fuel to be spread around to be pulled into the pot as needed. It also helps reduce any obstructions to getting your work into the fire. Also, what is your fuel, coal or coke? If its coke, you're going to need a lot more airflow to keep it going and to get it up to temp.

5 minutes ago, Brian Myers said:

Question, how deep is your central area? It only needs to be a couple of inches. 

As for your design, you have your central fire pot surrounded by sloping sides. It would be better if this was flat instead. This allows fuel to be spread around to be pulled into the pot as needed. It also helps reduce any obstructions to getting your work into the fire. Also, what is your fuel, coal or coke? If its coke, you're going to need a lot more airflow to keep it going and to get it up to temp.

Thanks Brian it's coal at the moment. I'll try the things you mentioned and see how I get on. I'll keep you posted 

The usual issue with coal forges is too much heat.  I suspect your air supply is too constricted.  You want a tube as large as your blower outlet at a minimum.  Solid fuel forges need air volume more than air pressure.  I use a hand-crank blower that supplies the air via a 3-inch / 75mm pipe. The tuyere/nozzle in the firepot itself can be smaller, especially with a side-blown forge, but the supply pipe needs to be large enough to get a lot of air into the forge.  

Good catch Alan, I forgot that lol. My forge had a full 1 inch tuyere. Plus I made it variable speed so I could find that sweet spot.

USA Knife Maker sells hand cranked blowers.  It says that it's for wood fueled forged but I see no reason why it wouldn't work for coal fired forges.

Doug