Looking for sheath design advice, please.

Hello all.  I hope the lifestyle changes aren't too stressful for anyone.

I'm looking for advice on what's the best type of sheath for this 3 1/2" blade:
20200526_075503.jpg
I'm planning on making this my personal EDC, and have experience making leather sheaths for my forged blades, but I make mostly kitchen knives, and have only made about 10 hunters/skinners/EDCs in my life.  I'd like to try a horizontal carry for this, but would also like to avoid using a metal snap if possible.  Avoiding the use of a metal fastener is more important than the horizontal carry, however.  
Any suggestions? 
Thank you and stay safe.

set your sheath for a 45 degree carry and you should be able to eliminate the retention snap...Attached is a picture as an example

sheath-009.jpg

What Jeff said, and make it a deep pouch.  Wet form it to the blade and handle and it'll act like a snap.  

Good morning, afternoon, etc all. 

Here it is where I decided to stop.  The tan dye turned out quite a bit darker than I hoped, but it's been a while since I've used it.  I'm glad I didn't use the brown.

20200529_095314.jpg

I'm going to use it for a while before I make a new one to clean up all the flaws.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

So far I think it feels pretty good. So far it seems to lay pretty flat, and I guess I got lucky on the angle because it settles in fine when sitting with it riding over either a front pocket or on the back.  I need to say that it's been in the 80s the past couple of days and so I've been wearing shorts with a canvas belt, so I'm not sure how it will feel with a real belt and pants, but I think it should do OK.  We'll see how well it retains the blade after it breaks in.   

Here's a pic of how it sits on my back:

20200529_181720.jpg

Edited by billyO