Maciek

early medieval pattern-welded spearheads

Posted (edited)

Hello, my name is Maciej Tomaszczyk I am from Poland.This is my first post here but I registered in 2011. I am not a professional blacksmith. Blacksmithing is my passion. The most I like to forge ancient and early medieval replicas of spears and axes. Sometimes I use for it bloomery iron I smelting my own. In my works I try to use the same technics as ancient blacksmiths.  

Bellow same of my Viking age spears. If you have any questions about the technology I used, feel free to ask.

20181112_110248.jpg

pattern-welded spearheads based on the archeological finds (early medieval) from northern Poland.

IMG_20200425_153944.jpg

IMG_20200425_173031.jpg

Replica of earlymedieval spearhead from Lutomiersk (Poland). Entirely forged from scrap metal, in the core i used T-55 tank cannon, old steel rail and wrought iron wagon axle.

IMG_20200408_155526.jpgIMG_20200408_154503.jpgIMG_20200408_154513.jpg

Pattern welded spearhead, based on the find of the spear from Ostrów Lednicki (Poland). The total length of the replica is 50 cm. max. width 4.5. 

Edited by Maciek
  • Like 4

Wow!  I like them all, but that last one is just incredible.  :ph34r:

Excellent work!

Very impressive!

Posted (edited)

Fantastic work.  Any time you feel like posting a series of progress photos of your forging process (or a link to a video) I know that I, for one, would be extremely interested.

Edited by Dan Hertzson

20 minutes ago, Dan Hertzson said:

Fantastic work.  Any time you feel like posting a series of progress photos of your forging process (or a link to a video) I know that I, for one, would be extremely interested.

I have done one already about how to forge pattern-welded spear. And i plan to make more.

• Thanks 2

Thank you for the video, Maciek.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching the entire process.  What beautiful work you do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dan Hertzson said:

Thanks, wonderful video, but now I have some serious swage block envy...

I bought this swage block on a scrap yard and probably saved it of resmelting. It has a weight of 300 kg and is really useful.

I've only ever seen one photo of something like it here in the States.  If I recall correctly it sold for some crazy money at a blacksmith gathering in Ohio.

I paid for it less than 300 USD.

Very good video, thanks for the link!  The speeded-up power hammer shots were fun. :)

4 hours ago, Dan Hertzson said:

Thanks, wonderful video, but now I have some serious swage block envy...

You can get a much smaller one here: https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/trunion-swage-block.html  but yeah, I really like that big one...

Those are some really nice spearheads. I enjoyed watching your video as well. Nice job on showing your process. I got a little bit anvil envy :-)

yes, great work. the video was interesting, too. thanks a lot for sharing with us.

Yesterday I started a new project - winged Viking age spearhead.

I based on archeological find from Ostrów Lednicki (Poland).

I am not quite happy with the final effect, there are some miss-weldings between socket and wings, I did it the first time, I hope next one will be better.

In two days I am going to upload Video about the forging of it to my yt channel.

IMG_20200531_194930.jpgIMG_20200531_194903.jpg

Thanks, I'd really like to see that!  A winged spear is something I have not made.  

In the meantime, I found some photos I took during the forging of the wolf tooths spearhead I posted few days ago.  

IMG_20200405_092619.jpg

IMG_20200405_101309.jpg

IMG_20200405_102554.jpg

IMG_20200405_110350.jpg

IMG_20200407_183914.jpg

IMG_20200408_075321.jpg

IMG_20200408_154503.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely!

I just upload the new video, please enjoy the watching

• Like 1