Rapier--Not my normal fare

Posted (edited)

I thought some may be interested in my latest project so here's a look:

30" blade of 300 layer Damascus--

IMG_9230_opt

This is the heat treating jig that I used to help keep the blade straight during H/T.  (It also works like the clay on a katana in that it keeps the spine from forming martensite in the quench.)  Not shown here were several metal clips to hold the entire length tight against the middle of the blade.

IMG_9233_opt

To give you an idea if where I'm going with this one, here's my first rough sketch of the hilt that I plan on  making (I have already made several changes in it.)  The fittings will be of 416 and the handle of blackwood. 

IMG_9244_opt

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 2

Cool! That will be sweet.

• Thanks 1

My opinion, worthless as it is, is much like George Silvers'.  However,  I'm really interested in seeing what you do with it.

Doug

• Thanks 1

this is an ambitious project. I am looking forward to it!

• Thanks 1

I've had many other projects keeping me busy recently but finally found some time after work today to get started on the guard for this one.  Getting this far shows me that I may need to shorten the ricasso some. 

Lots more wire to bend on this one.;)

rapier_opt

• Like 1

I am impressed by your determination to constantly push the envelope and expand your portfolio Gary.

Following this one closely.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I am impressed by your determination to constantly push the envelope and expand your portfolio Gary.

Following this one closely.

Thanks, Joshua.  I'm still amazed that I decided to take this on.  Wish me luck as I'm not a swordsmth.  ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems that I've had so many different projects going now that I haven't had time to devote much to my rapier until today.  I've finally gotten all of the wire basket bent & welded.  It's still very rough and will require a lot of time grinding & polishing but I think that you can now call it a basket.

While bending & welding the various round rods required for this basket hilt made me reflect back to a time when a glass blowing friend used to turn glass rods into pieces of art.  This guard wasn't a whole lot different.:)

IMG_9299_opt

• Like 2