I made my first ever batch of knives in the past few weeks, and this is the 3rd and final blade from the batch.

Forged from a cold chisel while I wait for some proper bar stock to arrive.

The handle is an unidentified wood from South Florida that I salvaged after hurricane Irma in 2017,  pretty much looks like slightly curly maple.

Copper liners and pins, and ebony bolster.

It steel needs some finish work, but I don't really have the equipment yet, my shop is quite primitive. I'm going to bring it to a friend's shop when I can and finish it up, thought I'd post it in the meantime.

Had some trouble with the plunge lines, I don't have a file guide so I was clamping wood blocks in place, which of course get ground down.

I kinda like a vertical pins through the ebony, and the little collar where the copper liner extends past the handle. Might be cool to play with in the future and add some engraving or texture to it.

Maybe cut the copper into a more interesting shape...

Let me know of any critiques you may have!

+ shop chicken

20200530_163327.jpgIMG_20200530_165005_375.jpgIMG_20200530_165005_374.jpgIMG_20200530_165005_380.jpg

• Like 2

I like how the copper turned out.  The pin looks good too.  Nice job.

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

That is fantastic for a third knife, especially if you are restricted to less than ideal tools.

Doug

• Like 1

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Thanks guys!

You all have been extremely helpful with the many issues I've run into while making these.

Less than ideal is definitely a fitting description. My anvil is a 12lb sledgehammer head set into a stump, and my grinder is an ancient, badly abused, 4x36 craftsman. Getting the tracking wheel to put tension on the belt, and getting the belt to track properly, requires a good deal of "percussive maintenance" with a hammer.

I've been putting every scant bit of money I have into upgrading though, so things should be better soon.

Waaaaayyy better than my 3rd. It looks great! I really like the handle / guard area. The protruding  copper looks really cool.  You are definately on your way!!

Tom

• Like 1
1 hour ago, t cudworth said:

Waaaaayyy better than my 3rd. It looks great! I really like the handle / guard area. The protruding  copper looks really cool.  You are definately on your way!!

Tom

Thanks! The copper was kind of an experiment, turned out ok. I think that technique definitely has some potential. Maybe make it bigger, and use a jewelers saw to cut out floral patterns in the copper or something