R. Alex Dorris

5160 for beginners?

Hey guys, finally got some real steel on the way, won't have to use old cold chisels anymore!

I'm really enjoying forging from round stock, especially since I like doing integrals.

Since apparently 1084 and 1095 don't come in round, I went with some 3/4" round 5160, from Ray Kirk's website.

From what I gather, it's harder to heat treat than 1084, but not quite as finicky as O1 or 52100, for example. 

I have a friend with a digital HT oven I'm going to use, so I should be able to execute a reasonably precise HT. 

Does that sound doable for a beginner, or am I setting myself up for difficulties when I try to heat treat? Would I have been significantly better off just sticking with 1084 for now?

Thanks,

Alex

Heat treating 5160 is pretty straight forward.  Go to "Heat Treating by Alloy" and you should find it.

Doug

6 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

Heat treating 5160 is pretty straight forward.  Go to "Heat Treating by Alloy" and you should find it.

Doug

Cool, that's kinda what I thought, but there's so much conflicting information floating around

One of the nice things about 5160 heat treating is that it doesn't need an especially fast oil.  Lots of folks, including myself, have had great results with preheated Canola oil.  If you learn your forge temperature controls you can certainly heat treat it using a forge as well.