Dan Hertzson

Electro-etch touchmark

So I've finally given up on the whole hot stamping thing.  Love the idea, but can't get the level of detail consistently with the design I've come up with and the 3/4" diameter Hoenick stamp I purchased.  Might work better if I rigged it up in the fly press, but even using the treadle hammer I struggle with getting a deep enough impression.  This is what my mark looks like (blue fill is indented, white is proud):

image.png

So I'm looking at electro-etching.  I have an old model railroad transformer that I feel pretty comfortable using for the etch side, but am not sure on two things:

1. Where to get laser cut stencils (I can lose the inner white triangles)
  2. Whether you can etch already assembled knives/axes...

I'd appreciate any direction.

Thanks

I have a tutorial around here somewhere. You can use laser stencils, or simple vinyl stencils if your design isn't too complicated. Without the triangles that would probably be fine in as small as 1/4" diameter.

@Dan Hertzson, Initially I used this salt water tutorial with a car charger and Kinkos for the vinyl. This was an excellent start for me to get away from hot stamping my trademark. The young man at Fed Ex did my artwork and I bought a 1/2 yard cheap! which lasted a long time., but you have to “weed-out” lettering and it’s slow.

However, they don’t cut vinyl anymore, at least in my area, let alone reproduce your artwork.

My friend Lauri recommended PICO Elektra and I have been really pleased. They are out of Germany, excellent to deal with and the stencils are durable. I also use their electrolyte for tool steel.

With these also use a plain old Lionel Train Transformer, no problems.;)

My best, Gary LT

Can't get your link to go anywhere, John.

1 hour ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Can't get your link to go anywhere, John.

Hmmm...worked for me, Chris.

1 hour ago, billyO said:

Hmmm...worked for me, Chris.

Well dang my hide, musta been holdin' my tongue on the wrong side of my mouth!   Works for me now too! ydjo0oJVAounoRsYIsKh.jpg

Oh well!

You can certainly etch after assembly. As for making your stencils, if you're good enough with an image program look around and try to pick up a Cricut (pronounced cricket) vinyl cutter. Yes they are a bit on the expensive side, but you can usually find them second hand for a decent price. The vinyl that it uses is sticky-backed so it adheres well and it can resist most etching solutions no problem.

14 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

musta been holdin' my tongue on the wrong side of my mouth

Is that why things don't work for me sometimes?  Thanks for the tip.  Now if I can just remember to pay attention to what side the next time I have a failed weld....;)