Sign in to follow this  
Conner Michaux

Belt sander modification questions

Posted (edited)

I have a 1/3 hp craftsman belt and disc sander and I would like to try putting a new motor on it to make it more powerful. We have an old treadmill that we are going to get rid of and I would like to pull the motor out and use it. The motor is 3 CHP which as far as i understand means that the motor will run comfortably at 3 HP without hurting the motor. Now I know that 3 horse power is to much for a 2x42 sander, but are there ways to reduce the speed using belts and pulleys? I don't know if this is at all possible but I figured I will just ask. 

Edit I forgot that treadmills already have variable speed built into them so I wonder if there is a way I can use that.:huh:

Edited by Conner Michaux

It's been done before, so yes.  Back when VFDs were not commonly available and cost as much as cars, the treadmill motor and controller was the way to get variable speed on your grinder.

You'll just need to get creative with the mounting.

i dont believe you can have to much hp ( may cost a few cents electrically)  rpm is different than hp........may or may not need to increase or decrease the speed of the belt to keep it usable and safe.

Treadmill motors are DC, and thus vary speed by increasing or decreasing the current. They tend to lose torque at very slow speeds, but most people won't notice. 

That is, however, why if you go that route you must salvage ALL the electronics between plus and motor. Gotta have the transformer or it won't work. Any other things like displays can be tossed, but you need the transformer and speed controller.

Yeah I may end up with half a treadmill in my shop. I will start taking it apart soon. Hopefully I don’t break everything!