Sign in to follow this  
Oberu

Type III/IV Seax

Posted (edited)

I've always wanted to make a seax similar to this and hadn't seen many examples.  I based it off of the find which is mostly gone. The blade is about 16" and the handle it just large enough for two hands.   I used wrought iron for the fittings and a piece of camphor burl for the handle.  It's getting close.. still need to go over everything again and peen the tang.  Afterwards is the long process of making a sheath.  If you've ever made a traditional sheath for a seax.. it's a bugger bear.  Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking!  More to come as I tackle the sheath!

IMG_7752.JPG

VILD5563.JPG

IMG_7721.JPG

Edited by Oberu
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

got the resist painted on.

50D20A69-E31E-4CF6-B7FD-A7663FACB887.jpeg

Edited by Oberu
Picture was terrible
  • Like 1

Watching with interest...

Finally got the second side laid out this morning.  I tried to do some yesterday but the shop was so hot that my paint dried on the brush.  Still have to mask the majority of the blade off but the hard part is over. Good day to ya all!

SUKR6676.JPG

• Like 1

I etched today.  I'm happy with the results but I think finding a vinyl cutter would be ideal.  Hand painting left the pattern imperfect. It's about time to start another sheath.

BHSA0470.JPG

IMG_7916.JPG

• Like 1

I think it looks good.  Those patterns need some slight imperfections or they get sterile.  I don't see them, but the fact it looks good shows they're there. B)

• Like 1

good results. I think the handle looks quite good, too. I have never etched anything electrically. I did buy a Chinese etching machine because the front was translated wrong so the knobs are called "tits." My etching machine has tits. Beat that. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like that Seax, it makes me want to make one.

As soon as I finish up a couple on the bench, I will get back to a seax and an axe project.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love the red vinyl tape. Years ago I worked in a shop where we used miles of yellow vinyl tape as mask-out for abrasive "etching".

• Like 1