Leaf-shaped neck knife build

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right category for a wip. Gonna build this and post pics as I go, let me know if it should be moved elsewhere. 

I've only made a handful of knives, and each one has been smaller than the one before haha, my first was probably 12", now I'm all the way down to a 3" OAL neck knife.

I attribute this to my almost-worthless grinder. Trying to stick with things I can forge as closely to shape as possible, and cut down on the grinding, until I can upgrade.

Anyway, this build is a small, leaf shaped neck knife, in 5160. It'll be a through tang with a peened end/steel buttcap. Copper fittings, probably cocobolo for the handle.20200613_153403.jpg

I'll make a matching wooden sheath, which is what will hang on a necklace, so that you can pop the knife out and have it free in your hand.

20200613_153322.jpg

If anyone has any experience with this type of knife, or any ideas, this is still in the design stage and open to change. Ive filled a few pages with sketches of handle shape ideas already. I'd like to make it so when the knife is inserted in the sheath, it kind of looks like a rounded seed shaped "pod", if that makes any sense:20200613_155018.jpg

• Like 1

Spent an inordinate amount of time fitting up the brass spacer, and got the handle cut out.

20200614_160015.jpg

20200614_203821.jpg20200614_204711.jpg

Sanding and heat treating the blade tomorrow, and epoxying/peening the handle on if I have time.

Bonus shot of the insane numbers of no-seeums in my shop, in the south Florida swamp. Normally I light a fire and smoke out the whole area to keep em off, but I skipped it today.

20200614_214508.jpg

I think thats a cool design!  I have not done one like that, but I would be nervous about loosing the blade unless there was a mechanical retention, maybe a brass push button built into the sheath?  Perhaps the lanyard loop could be something in brass to match the butt cap?  Or  some organic looking ridge across both the handle and sheath incorporating the lanyard hole to go with the seed idea?

9 minutes ago, nsantella said:

I would be nervous about loosing the blade unless there was a mechanical retention

I like mechanical as well, but most people doing this type of thing are using rare earth magnets.  One of those strong ones in the back of the sheath will hold the blade just fine.  

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I like mechanical as well, but most people doing this type of thing are using rare earth magnets.  One of those strong ones in the back of the sheath will hold the blade just fine.  

Ahh, I was worried about that. I was thinking I'd just try to fit it tightly, and line the sheath with leather so it would grip it. But a magnet sounds better and easier.

Maybe just inlay it in the cavity where the blade inserts?

Yep.  Ideally with thin wood or leather between the magnet and the blade.  Some of those little neodymium magnets are incredibly strong.