Couldn't figure out where to put this request, so I am here..........where I am!!!!! :D

I melted the side out of my plastic Lowe's bucket filled with Vermiculite today.  Guess I got my hammer head too close to the side. :angry:  So I've got to find a couple of metal 5 gallon buckets/cans.  But I'm pulling up a blank and can't think where I might find used ones.  Do auto lubrication centers still buy grease in those cans?  Paint used to come in them but the manufacturers have switched over to plastic paint cans.  Been racking my brain for the last couple of hours and can't think of any place that might have them.  Of course I can get them new through Amazon, but they are $20 each plus shipping. :o  I'd rather wash the remaining contents out of a couple of free ones!  :D  Any thoughts?

Wouldn't really mind 3 at that price................but the freight added would put it out of the ball park for me.  I'm really looking for suggestions as to what kind of business's tend to use these pails so I can see if they just toss them after use.  Thanks for the link.  I keep a U-line catalog on my desk at home.  Little wife and I use them often.

Tar from roofing companies come in these kinds of pails but tar is nasty to remove.

Er, uh...........think I'll walk back my  "I'd rather wash the remaining contents out of a couple of free ones" comment!   :D

I considered that, but the exposed edges would be mighty nasty.  There are U-shaped plastic edge coverings that would solve that problem but I'd have to buy a minimum amount that would most likely be way more than I'd ever need in  a lifetime.

They make small metal trash cans about 5-7 gallons maybe.   At least they did.

10 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

but the exposed edges would be mighty nasty.  There are U-shaped plastic edge coverings

Or you could use a hammer....

• Like 1

Thanks, Billy, but that wouldn't work for me.  I like for things to be neater looking than I could produce that way.

11 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

I like for things to be neater looking than I could produce that way.

Not to be argumentative, but why do you say you can't produce something that looks good?  Maybe not in the first 5 minutes, but aren't you trying to learn blacksmthing?  This would be a good practice in hammer control and how to move metal.  You can also go with the U-shaped plastic edge covering later if you are truly unhappy with the results.

Edited by billyO
  • Like 1

Thanks, billy, no disrespect meant, but I've no interest in learning how to round over the edge of a trash can with a hammer and make it look good.  Not my "thing".

Last night I got to thinking and remembered a friend down the road is a "collector" like many farmers.  He has stacks of everything you can think of.  His place is kind of like a thrift shop..........except for farmers. :D  My little wife calls him a hoarder..........I just call him when I need something. ;)  Think I remember seeing some of those cans in a shed at his place.  I'll check today and see if he has any.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

My friend had and sold me two of these for $10.  Look to be brand new.  So now I've got my buckets.

20200614_113229.jpg

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

23 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

Nice when that happens....

Could have just cut the end off a Propane bottle.  They are about the same diameter as a 5 gallon bucket.

Edited by Wayne Coe
On 6/13/2020 at 3:00 PM, Chris Christenberry said:

I melted the side out of my plastic Lowe's bucket filled with Vermiculite today.  Guess I got my hammer head too close to the side.

You're not trying to anneal your hammer head in a bucket of vermiculite, are you?  Don't do that.  Just normalize, like you would a blade.  

No.  This material (unknown) air hardens if left out exposed to air.  In the vermiculite it doesn't seen to do that as much.  I'm still working on the hammer head.  So after I finish forge work for the session, I just put the hammer head in the vermiculite to let it cool down slowly.  Takes a good 12 hours to do so.  When I finally get through with it, I'll just leave it out in the air and let it air harden.  It'll be plenty hard enough for hammering.  If not, well, then I'll put it in oil.  The 1/4" sample I tested in oil hardened all the way through and snapped into three pieces when I hit it with a hammer.