I don't know if this is the correct board for this but I've been robbed again.  All my hammers and my flatter, about half of my tongs, my leg vice, the base for my quench tank (turkey fryer tripod) and a propane tank turned  up missing along with the block of H13 that I used for a knifemakers anvil.  I have a strong suspicion who it is though I can't prove it but regardless I'm going to order him off my property.  If I can get his last name and address I'll swear out a no trespass order against him.

Doug

Sorry to hear that, Doug.  I'm real picky about who I let see my shop............woodworking or smithing.  I don't let a lot of people inside my shop, to be honest.

The shed is right next to the garage and doesn't have a locking door, might have to change that.  I've already ordered two replacement hammers and I'm going to lock up the remainder of my tongs in the garage tomorrow.  I'm also going to go down to Staples to check on a wireless security camera system that they have.  The middle of next month Atlas Tools and Knifemaking should have there knifemakers anvil back in stock.  I've go an idea of how to make a leg vice portable.  I just have to find a good deal on one that I don't have to  pick up locally.

Doug

I just went to the Atlas Tool and Knife site and they are taking orders for their 67 lb cast steel (4150) anvils for $311, shipping included, it's not a bad deal.  They've also increased the size of the hardy hole has been increased to 1", if it matters.

Doug

Check all the local pawn shops. When you find your tools, file a report with the police.  Hopefully you have some way of proving ownership...

Sorr to hear this Doug!!! This is why I'm upgrading my main shop anvil to 672 lbs. Let's see them load that up ;). But then there is the smaller anvils off the the side and the hand tools.  All of which would be easy pickings. 

There's a story in the back of Anvils in America in which some thieves managed to tip a 550-lb anvil into the back of their tiny hatchback.  Point first.  It punched a hole through the rusty floor and pinned the car to the asphalt and they had to escape on foot without the anvil.  I would like to see you get that kind of justice, Doug!

Thanks for the sympathy, guys.  Security cameras will go in before I put anything back into the shed, and the anvil and tools will be locked up in the garage when I'm not forging.  I also noticed that one of the forges was damaged when they were trying to get a propane tank detached from it but that will be an easy fix.

Alan, checking the pawn shops sounds like a good idea.  We only have a couple in town.

My problem is going to find a good leg vice.  They seem to be pick-up only in places 1000 miles away, they want almost as much for shipping as they want for the vice, or they want almost as much for a  used vice as you can get a new one for.  Plus the new one ships for less.

Anyway the man who I strongly suspect of taking them has been bumming money off me for years; probably pushing close to $1000 by now.  I've also caught him steeling from me before so it's long overdue running him off my property.  If I knew where he lived I should get a no trespass order against him.

• Like 1