Hello, this is the first post on this forum. I learned about its existence only a few days ago, when I started looking for information about the master Chris Peterson, Salina, UT - I saw this knife at one of the auctions and it became very interesting to me how he created such an almost seamless pattern. I found a way to contact him, thanks to a post by Katrina Peterson.

Chris-Peterson-Salina-UT-Damascus-and-Maupload online photos

Then I noticed this part of the forum and decided to write a message.

I have a friend who makes knives. He doesn’t use the Internet very much, he is mainly engaged in work and hunting. He recently made an American-style bowie. I would like to hear criticism precisely about the style of work, the available decorative elements, the shape of the blade and other things. 9-inch blade, balance point on the index finger, all done manually.

Stroker-Bowie-Ironwood-1.jpg

Stroker-Bowie-Ironwood-2.jpg

Stroker-Bowie-Ironwood-3.jpg

Stroker-Bowie-Ironwood-4.jpg

Are you looking for critique for the maker, or for some other reason?  I wouldn't want to tear into another makers work without his permission.

Geoff

What Geoff said. Unless the maker is asking for critique, I would hesitate to offer my opinion.

I'm still a little hesitant, but I'll give it a go.   

Things I like first.

I like the overall shape, it's a good, bowie like profile. 

Fit on the handle and fittings are clean, the little silver spacers are a very nice touch.

Things I have some issues with
The guard could use some work, it's just a chunk of brass.  A bit of taper to the ends would be more elegant and give it some movement.

The choil (the area under the plunge cuts) is a little crude.  The choil itself needs some rounding, but mostly I just don't like it.  It seems out of place, like he had several ideas and never finished any of them.  If you brought the bottom of the riccasso down another 1/4"  (5-6 mm) and squared it off, I think that would flow better.

The plunge cut we can see is a little washed out.  I'm not really happy with my own plunges right now, so that jumps out at me.

I can't tell if there is any distal taper, but that is something I would like to see.

Last, the finish.  That is pretty coarse, it looks like a filed surface.  You say that it's done with hand tools (at least that is what I think you mean).  You  can't really file hardened steel, so that could be some other sort of process.  If it were mine I would start at 220 grit sand paper, or even 150 grit, and, using a hard stick, sand out all of those marks.  Once you get to a nice, clean 220 grit surface, getting an even better surface, 1000 grit or so, is pretty easy.

In general I like it, it has most of the things we think of when we think "bowie knife".

Does any of that help?  I don't want to seem to be beating up on the new guy.

Geoff

I'm not willing to criticize work I cannot at least equal, only thing that immediately bothered me was the length of the guard at the bottom.

I learn from comparing my observations to those of more experienced persons, so thank you Geoff.

While I agree with what other said about critiquing others ("judge not, lest ye be judged" and all that...), because you asked...

8 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

The guard could use some work, it's just a chunk of brass.  A bit of taper to the ends would be more elegant and give it some movement.

This is the first thing that jumped out when I initially saw the pictures.

8 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

The choil . . .seems out of place, like he had several ideas and never finished any of them. 

I also noticed this, too.  Probably because I'm in the middle of a blade where I ran into this very issue.  As I was forging it started to take the shape of a fighter, and I just went with it.  Now that I'm at the profiling/grinding stage, I'm thinking to myself, "this looks like a fighter, but I don't make weapons, so how can I turn this into a chef's knife?"

Finally, not being a bowie maker (I do mostly kitchen knives) I'm wondering about the handle shape.  It looks nice, but I'm wondering about how it would function.  It's my understanding that a bowie is a knife for fighting, and I could see this knife easily slipping out of your hand if used in a fight.

Thank you all very much! Very interesting and useful comments.

Lack of narrowing of the guard, i.e. it is now in the form of a plate, this is the result of the price, it was necessary to stay in the budget. More sophisticated forms require more time and work :)

Handle will not slip out, of course, this is not the type of combat bowie that has protection against slipping out, like the battle bowie Bill Bagwell or similar, but it holds in your hand no worse than the old English ones, as here, starting from lot 87 and below

http://www.jbrucevoyles.com/A114/A114 Page 1.html

What is "distal taper" ?

See the source image

25 minutes ago, Sergey Semenov said:

Lack of narrowing of the guard, i.e. it is now in the form of a plate, this is the result of the price, it was necessary to stay in the budget. More sophisticated forms require more time and work

Of course they do, but 5 minutes time would have  created a much better piece, in my opinion, without a large increase in the cost.  We all make choices, and we all have budgets.  I don't like this one, but that is just me and my eye.

Geoff

• Like 1