Sign in to follow this  
DanielQ

A struggle and a dissertation on less.

It's been a long time away from this forum. Life has truly gotten in the way. But now, I figured I'd stop in and say Hi to all you wonderful people in the craft.

Anyway..

Sometimes it's difficult to do less.

This knife has been on my desk for rather a long time now. From conception it was the plan for it to have a piece of reindeerantler in the front so that I'd have something to engrave. In fact I've been looking forward to doing it, since it was a rather long time ago I did a serious work of antler engravings.

I spent such a long time fiddling with it, drawing designs on the handle. Doodling on pieces of paper. But no matter what I did, I couldn't come up with anything that would add, not detract from the elusive thing that we call: The Whole.

This is a slightly frightning and rather uneasy feeling for someone that looks upon oneself as an engraver. But I eventually found the courage to listen to what I guess I deep down had known from a long time.

Thus, I give you this. And no more. But in showing a knife that has been worked less. I hope to show you something that is in itself, complete.

Damasteel Vinland, Antler, Birch and birch bark.

IMG_4974.JPG

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, DanielQ said:

I spent such a long time fiddling with it, drawing designs on the handle. Doodling on pieces of paper. But no matter what I did, I couldn't come up with anything that would add, not detract from the elusive thing that we call: The Whole.

I totally get this. Beautiful result. As much as I have a thing for antler engraving, I love how it looks without.

" There is a different beauty in simplicity, in a single line placed just so, a single flower among the rocks. The harshness of the stone makes the flower more precious. "

Eye of the World

Less is usually more, when it comes to visual appeal.  You made the right choice.  That steel is more than busy enough, it requires a calm and gentle handle.  

And welcome back!  B)

With the highly decorative pattern in the damascus and similar in the birch, the plainess of the antler accentuates the patterns either side of it, and gives the eye somewhere to rest on the journey of visual exploration. 

Gorgeous blade!  Good decision.