Bob Ouellette

Left handed santoku

I finally grew up and got myself a 2x72 grinder. This is the first knife I finished on it. It's a left handed santoku forged out of 1084. It has a bronze bolster with a curly maple handle.

IMG_20200611_120538_copy_600x800.jpg

IMG_20200613_161519_copy_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Lookin' good, Bob!  

Thanks Alan! I'm finally making the progress in skill and quality I should have made years ago.

That came out great. When you say left handed does that mean something like an 80/20 bevel or edge (lots of nomenclature I say bevel sometimes with a micro bevel ) as many Japanese knives or the handle?

I might actually take up cooking if I had a nice knife like that. Looks great.

Two questions for you: are those serrations on the blade? I zoomed in on the picture and it looked like them, but I might just be seeing things.

Second question: what grinder did you get, if you don't mind my asking? I've been toying with the idea of getting one but I'll have to see how much damage the dentist does to me first. Probably won't get one this year; the way my tooth hurts I'm sure it's going to be an expensive trip. 

7 hours ago, Gilbert McCann said:

That came out great. When you say left handed does that mean something like an 80/20 bevel or edge (lots of nomenclature I say bevel sometimes with a micro bevel ) as many Japanese knives or the handle?

This is 100% flat on the right side of the blade. I'm still trying to figure out if that's the best geometry for how I like to use it, but we'll see. It makes perfect 90 degree cuts if I use even a slight bit of pushing or pulling.

6 hours ago, Chadd S. said:

I might actually take up cooking if I had a nice knife like that. Looks great.

Two questions for you: are those serrations on the blade? I zoomed in on the picture and it looked like them, but I might just be seeing things.

Second question: what grinder did you get, if you don't mind my asking? I've been toying with the idea of getting one but I'll have to see how much damage the dentist does to me first. Probably won't get one this year; the way my tooth hurts I'm sure it's going to be an expensive trip. 

Thanks! There aren't serrations. It's probably due to reducing the image size. Here's a larger picture and a picture of my grinder. http://imgur.com/a/RngnCYN

The grinder is a Pheer with a 2 HP 220V motor and a VFD. It wasn't the cheapest option, but I didn't want to buy anything twice and the VFD is incredibly handy.

Pheer, very nice grinder from what I've heard. Congratulations on the new toy.