Sign in to follow this  
John Myshkoff

My latest Puronvarsi project.

Posted (edited)

Just completed the Puronvarsi 120mm knife. The blade has a slightly modified belly. The spine and bevels were straightened and the blade was hand polished to 800x then gray Scotch Brite for a soft satin finish. The handle is goncalo alves with padauk and ebony spacers and Lin-Speed oil finish taken to 800x for a low luster finish. The butt was convexed. The nickel-silver bolster has a lightly peened finish.

50016866463_33988d8976_c.jpg  

50017392246_be0ff6b63b_c.jpg  

50017392691_2bb592efbd_c.jpg  

50017653582_a5a1dc3054_c.jpg  

50017392481_3bb5d66fb8_c.jpg 

Edited by John Myshkoff
  • Like 4

Crisp and clean like always John.  I like it!

• Like 1

Thank you Alex.

Great work, John.  I really like the handle shape.

Doug

• Like 1

Thanks Doug.  The handle is very comfortable.

John, I have been following your work for a while!! Your puko knives are always well done! Also every one seems to top the last one! I especially like the use of materials on this one!!

Your makers mark caught my eye. I am assuming that is stamped. How do you get the dark effect?? If you don't mind answering!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, C Craft said:

John, I have been following your work for a while!! Your puko knives are always well done! Also every one seems to top the last one! I especially like the use of materials on this one!!

Your makers mark caught my eye. I am assuming that is stamped. How do you get the dark effect?? If you don't mind answering!!

Than you very much Mr. Craft for your very kind comments.  The makers mark is not mine , but the Finnish craftsman Yro Puronvarsi.  I have had these blades for a few years and recently decided to use them for knife projects.  I modify the the blades to true up the spine and bevels slightly change the length and belly shape.  I do not have a makers mark myself.  The YP Mark is stamped in during the forging process.  These blades are made one at a time.  

Posted (edited)

John, still stick behind what I said. I watched your work and a good blade is a "good blade" if you grind and finish the steel correctly. But to make a knife out of it you have to complement that with the right materials, ferule, spacers, finish, of the chosen handle material. 

Having said that, as a maker you can screw up the handle! However your work has been getting more complete with each knife!! The materials you used on this one complement each other well! The lines of the blade, the handle with proper dimensions and flow.

That is what makes it a knife!! This sir is a knife! thumb up.jpg

Edited by C Craft
  • Like 1

Hail to the guru  !!..............:D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Chris, your comments about my work are most gracious indeed and coming from a fellow craftsman means a great deal to me.  Thank you.  

Edited by John Myshkoff

I had a good chuckle, Cliff.