This post is for my US brothers and sisters.  Has anyone found a gas can they like?

A few years ago I started seeing these spring loaded nozzles on all the cans.  I'm sure they were designed to appease some lawyer, but the darn thing are a nightmare.  I can't fill a single piece of my equipment with them without spilling gas all over the place.

Does anyone make just a plain old honest gas can anymore?  I need a 5 gallon, and a 2.5 gallon.

Hopefully you folks in countries where it's called petrol, or have fewer than one lawyer per 100 people don't have this problem.

• Like 1

There used to be a hardware store around here that sold the old school style replacement nozzles right next to the brand new cans with the new style.  It made it easy to buy them at the same time. :D

56 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

A few years ago I started seeing these spring loaded nozzles on all the cans.  I'm sure they were designed to appease some lawyer, but the darn thing are a nightmare.  I can't fill a single piece of my equipment with them without spilling gas all over the place.

Cant tell ya how many cuss words I hear over exactly that. Whats even better is that if you take the nozzle off and try to pour it out with use of a funnel, it still goes everywhere. 

It falls under the same stupidity of why I can't buy oil based paint.

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Hopefully you. . . have fewer than one lawyer per 100 people.

A boy can dream....

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Buy a kerosene can and paint it red?

My last kerosene can came with the same nozzle :(

I hate to tell you guys this, but the same law that cause the change in gas can nozzles also made manufacturers change the threads that hold the nozzles on the cans.  So older nozzles won't match the threads on the new cans.  Can't just go out and buy an old style nozzle and get it to work.  Did I mention I've been there and done that????? :angry:

Diesel can?  I last bought those about eight years ago and they had plain nozzles.  Or maybe a surplus jerry can?  They are annoying in their own, different way, but they're better than the "safety" nozzles.  Or, and this is not recommended, the five gallon plastic jugs turkey fryer oil comes in will stand up to gasoline.  Just be sure you label the jug.  My dad had a deli in his store when I was growing up, and they went through a lot of deep fryer oil.  Dad being the frugal type brought home a couple to use as gas cans for the riding lawn mower and the tractor.  It was my job to mow the (five acre) yard.  Now, these jugs were always in the same place.  Unlabelled. One day I went to gas up the mower and grabbed the first jug, topped off the tank, and set out.  I got about 150 feet into the first lap when the mower chugged to a stop.  Turned out dad had filled one of the empty jugs with old antifreeze from the tractor and put it with the gas jugs.  And a 25-75 blend of gasoline and antifreeze doesn't make a mower engine happy...

The field crews at my office solve the problem by just removing the nozzles altogether.  But they go through a lot of gas.  It is both annoying and ironic that a "safety" feature is so freakin' dangerous.  

I have found this style nozzle to work pretty well for me. Scepter is the name brand.

Jon

77454696-2C3E-4610-9268-3CDCAFBE2EF9.jpeg

D0DC18F4-B6A9-417B-B201-09DCBF7AE7AF.jpeg

Sure, but those nozzles only fit that G.I type can, I think.

Those of us who have or access to a lathe and a gas tolerant plastic and hose can build a good spout using

the original cap, there are a few You Tube vids out there on mods .................

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Those of us who have or access to a lathe and a gas tolerant plastic...................

I never even considered that!

This has worked well for me when I want to replace those stupid Californicated "safety" gas can spouts.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ez-pour-hi-flo-replacement-spout?solr=1&cm_vc=-10005&st=Gas Can Spout

• Thanks 1