Early medieval (Viking age) pattern-welded knife blade

This type of blade construction was rather common in early medieval in central and northern Europe during Viking age. The blade consists of three parts: high carbon steel on the cutting edge, a twisted pattern-welded bar in the middle, and a simple pattern-welded bar on the back of the knife.

To forge it I used a scrap metal (as usual in my projects) but this time the scrap metal was very special. I used old bloomery iron and wrought iron nails/bolts/rivets which were found in the Dziwna River in Wolin in the place of the old shipyard/harbor during the building of the new marina (Wolin is the historical site (Viking age city)), every new investment must be supervised by archeologist. This was also the case here but they were not interested of nails :-), so I collected it.

20200620_154940.jpg

20200620_152810.jpg

Edited by Maciek
  • Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...

Ikikjjjkjjkjikjiukukikkukk Kiki (kkjiiu

Very nice work, and those nails/spikes are a great find!

That is a fine looking blade you have there sir. I really liked the video as well (subscription added!) and I have serious anvil envy now.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:44 PM, Guy Thomas said:

Very nice work, and those nails/spikes are a great find!

The historical iron (not only nails but all the iron stuff) is still quite common in Europe. 16th-19th cent. iron it can be found very easily on the scrap yards if you know what to look for, (older ones, medieval and early medieval are not such common but still you can find it).  Till now I collected more than 3 tones of different types of wrought and bloomery iron.