I was requested to make a carving knife.
this drawing was taken from the reference picture, I was sent.
I modified the design and added a tapered ferrule and a threaded tang so the guard could be removed

(since I felt like it might be in the way and the reference picture I had been sent might've not been a carving knife? never seen them w guards)

this would be San-mai laminated and is intended for children.

so whatcha think? anything I might need to think off? add? retract?

IMG_20200623_164036.jpg

I'm not a carver, but having relatives on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, has exposed me to decoy carving. Most of the blades carvers use are quite small, normally less the two inches in length. A quick search for decoy carving or Swedish carving knife will show examples of what I'm talking about.

Given that it is intended for a child, I'm wondering if it's not meant to be more of a whittling knife instead of a true carver.  Either way, depending on the age of the child, I think the guard is a really good idea.

Being for a child, a guard is a good call. But the blade itself is far too large. Carving wood requires very small movements overall, attention to detail and the ability to get into tight areas. Here in the U.S. we call them chip knives. The blades are around 2 to 2.5 inches long, about 60 mm. The handles are often quite thin and long for leverage and many have a oversized belly. Some also have a pukko-style handle. For a kid, i personally think the second choice would be best so little hands get a good grip. I think that maybe you could create something like this. Overall its about 6 inches long, has a guard to protect little fingers, a good oversized grip and a fairly standard blade shape. The blade is somewhat large for a chip knife, nearly 3 inches. but this will let the child get a feel for the craft. Precision can come later with smaller blades. This is a Mora design, and as many can attest they usually get things right lol.

carving knife.jpg

Edited by Brian Myers
  • Like 1

@Brian Myers

hey, that looks exactly like the picture I was sent, except better quality! 

yea my design was just a first draft, just drew it for understanding the general shape.
I was thinking of something like 60-80mm total blade length and maybe.
thanks for the measurements.

but I still would go with threaded tang to have a removable guard.
I think that would also make sharpening the blade from tip to the heel easier.

• Like 1