Sign in to follow this  
Garry Keown

Using a honing steel.

This is the short vodeo I did today for the members on the hunting forum I do most of my knives for as they asked about  how I use a honing steel and in particular tghe short ones I make  and add to the sheath as and when requested.. I have ground and polished both my fathers and great grandfathers steel so they are smooth where they both had very fined ridges as I received them and of course the ones I make are polished to 600 grit.The two I got from father and great grabndfather originally had multiple small ridges but I ground themm off to smooth steel so they work much better this way. They are to hone not take metal off the blade edge.

• Thanks 1

I had meant to add that there is a very good reason to hold the steel with the thumb over the top rather than round the handle in what might be a instinctive grip with those steels that have a fixed handle. A slip in concentration with the knife means a cut accross the thumb and usually is not so bad that it will heal in short order  - but holding the steel with the thumb 'round the handle' leaves the web between the thumb and the fingers vulnerable to a very severe cut and one that may well do lasting damage to the hand.