Sign in to follow this  
Alex Middleton

Lord of the lake

My kids and I recently hiked back in to a small lake in the woods near my house.  As I sat in my float tube I started to feel some tugging on my stringer.  The picture isn't the best, but if you look you can see the 18" snapper turtle that wanted my fish more than me.:D

20200616_172825.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yeah. There is also a face in his shell.

Cool!  I have at Thing for turtles :)

That guy has been around for a while.

10 hours ago, Joshua States said:

There is also a face in his shell

Ha! I hadn't noticed that.  I was trying to get a picture of him at the surface, before he managed to rip the fish in half, but I couldn't get my camera out quick enough.  I've never seen a turtle around here that had that much moss growing right on his shell.

11 hours ago, Joshua States said:

There is also a face in his shell.

And the expression is clearly saying, "This is my fish, intruder!"

Posted (edited)

A buddy and  I went camping/fishing one day. When we first got there, the first thirty minutes they were hitting like gang busters. After an hour of not another bite. I told him, well at least we won't be eating beans for supper! I reached down and pulled the small limb I had tethering a stringer of fish. Raised it up and son of %@$&^. Out of nine fish we had two the turtle had not eaten! Oh well so we only have to eat a few beans!! Embarrassed Emoticon.png On the other hand Mr. Turtle didn't have to eat any beans!!

Edited by C Craft

i used to see those things as big as they could get here, not any more though. the water in the "lake" here used to be clear and you could see right to the bottom, i would catch turtles from a canoe if i could sneak up on them well enough. but i never got out of the boat because some of those snapping turtles must have been two feet wide. i havent seen one for at least ten years, now you have to look out for broken glass more than anything. once i stepped on some huge turtle under about 6" of the muddiest water, it was big enough to move with all my weight on its back and i didnt get back in after that.