billyO

Warping during thermal cycling?

Posted (edited)

Hello all.  I apologize if I'm re-asking a question that was already answered.  This thread was as close as I could find, but I either couldn't find or didn't understand  the answers.  

On my last 2 blades, during my normalizing/thermal cycling, they developed a warp during the process, which is as followed:

After forging and grinding, I thermal cycled in the Evenheat at 1650F, 1600F, 1550F, then quenched at 1495F.  One of the blades developed a warp after the 1600F, cycle and the other after the 1550F.  I was able to straighten them in a vice with a bending fork.  Both of the blades were relatively low layer (15-30) 1080/15N20.  On one of them, I tried thermal cycling in my PID controlled forge after forging to shape as well.  

Is this normal?

Do I need to do something different?

Thanks and stay safe.

Edited by billyO

I didn't look at the other thread, so apologies if I put a similar answer that doesn't help clarify things. 

Warping comes from uneven stresses.  The blade can be warp free, but still under stress, and in fact these stresses can be what is holding it straight.  When you thermal cycle, you remove these stresses, and possibly add new ones.  It is quite common to get warps from the first thermal cycle for these reasons.  If you get some after the first ccle, I would think that you are likely introducing new stresses upon cooling from the previous cycle.  This can be from putting the blade down on the anvil to cool (NOT recommended!), or even from a breeze that cools one side faster than the other.  How are you cooling your blades during these cycles?