Sign in to follow this  
Garry Keown

A spring fuller

The other little project was to make a spring fuller for the helve hammer so I can draw out some length from shorter thicker bars.
Started with a piece of 2 inch bar stock and drilled a serier of holes accross it then a cut off disc in the angle grinder gave me the two pieces to grind into equal halves.

IMG_20200624_154924.jpg

IMG_20200624_155330.jpg

a 6 ft 6 length of 2 x 1/4 flat bar was marked out and cut into 3 and a dog leg marked in using the angle dividers. I wanted to run these wiuth a dog leg so I had a better meeting surface with a straighter pull through on the hammer.
I only welded up the one for now with its added bar to bring it up the the anvil height. I did set the 1/2 rounds on to make sure they would be in the right place but didn't weld them on till I had put the bar into the forge and got it hot enough to bend the flat bar to make the right shape to work as a spring and then welded the 1/2 rounds in place.

IMG_20200628_095518.jpg

IMG_20200628_154520.jpgIMG_20200628_161428.jpg

And just in case any of you are not up to speed on welding this is how a weld is supposed to look  B)B)

In any case it all seemed to fit together about right and with a couple of bolt thread tapped in the table top I can secure it in place against the movment caused by drawing the bar through it in use. I am abkle to secure the tup at its highest poiunt so that I can change out the various dies etc that I may end up making and have the ability through the top styrip on the drive arm and the link between the tup and the spring to adjust the opening by quite a substantial ammount if the need be.

IMG_20200701_111752.jpgIMG_20200701_111808.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good, I find that sculpting dies like this are wonderful.  They are sort of the same idea and are crowned on the edges of the dies so that they have an effect like the peen of a ball peen hammer.  You can pull in almost any direction with them. 

One small suggestion, flatten out the tops of your fullers just a bit.  As these two curved surfaces will tend to want to pass each other once struck.  I don't know if I ever used a pair under a hammer that did not start to have the upper die bend away.

If your not afraid of cutting the upper arm of the spring about half way, and just bolting the rest of the arm on with the die, I understand that its pretty easy to redress the dies over time. I haven't done this myself, but I did make a set of spring dies like this to be stuck at the anvil that are bolted at the half way point.  If you chose to do that, it does seem to take heavier material.  To use that spring at the anvil it takes at least a 3lb hammer to get them to do much, depending on stock size.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

IMG_20200624_155330.jpg

These look like they would be handy for forging in a latter pattern.;)

• Haha 1