Sign in to follow this  
Timothy La Combre

2020's broken

It's been a while since I posted here. Like most of you just been trying to get through hard lock down and a world gone stupid.

Did manage to get some forging done though.

Stay safe

75242027_446187299597772_6714174820270827571_o.jpg

104457075_438239583725877_8573477049298260298_o.jpg

104496388_439311163618719_5065758528208640315_n.jpg

if anyone has a problem that they cant solve themselves its because they are listening to someone else make up problems that dont exist because they are ignorant extremists. its so easy to live as a human if you dont think youre something better than what you really are, are any other animals stressing out? other than the ones that are needlessly destroyed to make room for the human tax crops. they dont even know whats going on and they dont need to know because it doesnt matter. money starves us, not a lack of food.

I, on the other hand, had a reasonable problem with making one of these socket handled knives the other day. we could say that im a bad human being because i did something wrong which solves nothing and will make me drink so i can solve nothing with my peers in our hate based society. or i can use my own brain and actively think (because thinking takes effort, mostly you are reacting and accepting things without thinking, people want to be nice and are agreeable to a fault) and realized that i just didnt start with enough material. 

ANYWAYS.... i like those socket handled knives, i dont have a good mandrel to shape them though, i did get the one i tried pretty close to the shape i wanted but it was only like 1/4" wide so that wasnt going to work. were they formed with mandrel? i think someone else here did some freehand which is what i tried.

theres no cheating or lying in knifemaking, if you make a bad knife whoever uses it will know, the usefulness and capabilities of the knife must be proven before it is accepted as good. there is no damaging frustration when something goes wrong because the path to success is guided by demonstrable measurable facts, failure is not a divergent branch but a part of any goal driven being. 

2 hours ago, steven smith said:

These were forged free hand. I have only recently got back into forging so need to make some new tooling.

The process

104411208_438830147000154_69261984303397499_n.jpg

104590519_438830073666828_6285931510426292701_n.jpg

FB26GP.jpg

Good work!

They all look great, but that third one is dynamite to me. Good job!

8 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Good work!

Thanks Alan

7 hours ago, AJ Chalifoux said:

They all look great, but that third one is dynamite to me. Good job!

Thanks, Appreciate it

Posted (edited)

Good looking knives.   I like the second one,   the 1/2 socket with wood handle is nice.  Wish I'd thought of that.  Probably gonna steal the idea and try it myself.

Keep on rockin.

*obligatory mutterings on the state of the world here*  > /dev/null    

no offense intended to anyone.

Edited by Bruno
  • Like 1

I like this too. I am working on a socket harpoon head/ knife as we speak. Surprising how comfortable in the hand a socket handle is. James Helm worked this one out ages ago haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

James Helm worked this one out ages ago haha

And he got it from Tai Goo, who in turn got it from some tribe in the Phillipines, who got it from somewhere in Indonesia/Maylaysia and so on...  ;). A good idea is always good.

• Like 1

Good stuff thank you for sharing some of the process I've never seen that on a knife handle. 

• Like 1

Those are really neat blades you've got there. I've never seen a socket wrap on a knife before. Is that a historical style?

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 3:03 AM, Chadd S. said:

Those are really neat blades you've got there. I've never seen a socket wrap on a knife before. Is that a historical style?

Thanks. Nope, just something I saw once on a you tube channel that I always wanted to try.

Credit to Shurap. https://youtu.be/dxvVLqhEURg

Thanks all for the comments. Appreciated.

Shurap does good work...

• Like 1

That's the guy who puts pepper in his canister Damascus, right? Yeah, he makes some beautiful patterns. It's hard not to fast forward to the end of the videos to see how the steel comes out.