Sign in to follow this  

Posted (edited)

I bought a foot  long bar of 3in  x 1 in  LG2 bronze but can not find any pinstock to suit. Plenty of phospher bronze welding wire and will try that for a colour match but do any of you know where I could source 3/32 pinstock of the LG2 bronze.

Edited by Garry Keown

Well, I really don't know LG2 from a hot rock, but Rio Grande sells bronze wire:   https://www.riogrande.com/product/bronze-round-wire-dead-soft/134314gp

They also sell ingot molds for making your own:  https://www.riogrande.com/product/cast-iron-reversible-ingot-mold/704077

So if the wire stock isn't the same as your bar, you could spend a few bucks and get a crucible, a holder, and an OA torch and cast some.

• Thanks 1

Going by the top feedback on the mould site I think I will pass on that offering but it leaves the way open to look at making a wire mould myself so that is an option if the welding wire does not match. 

Otto Frei carries wire molds by Durston, pricey, but Durston is good quality. Unfortunately they are out of stock on the 4 and 6 size versions.

I made a similar mold from round steel tube. I just cut the tube lengthwise on the band saw, welded one side to a piece of flat stock, and used hose clamps to hold it together. If you go this route, I would suggest flaring one end of the tube to create a funnel top before cutting it in half. The one I made was for long 1/4" round bar that I forged down for handle frames. Remember to get some mold release spray, or you might braze the whole thing together on the first pour.

Going to be a tricky one Joshua. It is the 3/32 size I want so will cut a block of steel in half and dress the faces then clamp together and drill the hole and flare the top if I go that road. Will probably do a set of holes that are only about 1 1/3 long  or 3 pin lengths. Had been looking at crucibles for another project I am investigasting with a friend so this may me the natural solution for me.

You can also cast oversized rods and use a drawplate to size them exactly.  This will give more uniformity as well.  

Be careful getting into jewelers equipment though.  Before you know it you'll be pining after a rolling mill...  :lol:

Would the el-cheapo rolling mills out there roll down bronze to the range necessary for pins?

I'm sure they are not very good, but it doesn't seem like pin stock needs to be all that precise since most of us peen it over anyway.

I have that same issue as the op but with a different alloy :)

We have the Durston rolling mill, but we got the dies without the wire rollers. I have a 4-size casting mold that I have used for Shibuichi and bronze pins. They do pour a little oversized. I turn them down in a drill using sandpaper pinched between two fingers. The next time, I will try putting them in the drill press and drilling them through a properly sized hole in a steel plate.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

You can also cast oversized rods and use a drawplate to size them exactly.  This will give more uniformity as well.  

Be careful getting into jewelers equipment though.  Before you know it you'll be pining after a rolling mill...  :lol:

hahaha. The friend I am looking at investigating casting with is a botique manufacturing jeweler and has a draw plate and a small rolling mill.so casting oversize and drawing them through the plate is a great sugestion thanks. She is my monday apprentice and floor sweeper so she can learn a bit from my playing in the shed and it is great to havce someone who can (enthusiastically) use the small offcuts of the various horn, bone and exhibition grade woods that would otherwise be in the bin.

Edited by Garry Keown

Just ordered a draw plate. It is a small rollong mill my friend has so the draw plate will do the bronze and a few little jobs for her as well.