Joshua States

Now for something completely different

I am starting a new project, one that has been on the to-do list for a while. It was inspired by a post I saw on this forum a few years ago.

This will be a 4-bar project, so I need to get some materials together.

I'll need this.

3 Half & Half.jpg

I'll need one of those.

Chain link.JPG

I'll need a piece of that

W1 round (1).JPG

Then I went to work and now I have this.

four bars V-2.jpg

Joshua, may we guess? 

Tom

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, t cudworth said:

Joshua, may we guess? 

Tom

Have at it.

I smell smoke, if that's any help...  

• Thanks 1

I don't know about that Alan, but all I can do is take my best shot at this blade. This is a bigun. It will be the second really large blade I have ever made.

Speaking of which, I'll have to make some bigger HT apparatus...…..

Oh boy! I'll be watching with interest!  B)

• Thanks 1

Crap. I was way off. I saw that small chunk of chain and the first thing that popped in my head was a morning star attached to a staff. Then you mentioned big blade.

Tom

Go man go...Shine on you crazy diamond! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to seeing this one!

• Thanks 1

Heck, I look forward to any of Josh's blades.   I'm acquiring a list of guy's who's shops I'd love to just sit in for a week and watch work.  So much talent on this forum.  I've got several knife forums I started watching when starting this journey and this one is the only one I've stuck with.  You guys are "something" else!

• Like 1

.gif

• Like 1

I would "guess" what it is but I already seen the facebook post so it wouldn't be fair!;)

Cant wait till it's done and see the finished project.

Today I hit the forge and welded the bars together. I had done the math to figure out how much steel I would need. Then, I reread my notes on dimensions and did the math again. I needed more steel. So today I took a bigger piece of wrought and a bigger 1' round and made two new square bars. Here are the new starting bars. The short one is 18.5 inches long.

Starting bars V2.jpg

So I was looking at a perfectly  good bar of wrought and another bar of W1 and I dug around in the PW scrap and there was a bar of something semi-twisted, I forget what. It was about the right dimensions, so I figured I'd make a 3-bar billet as well. By the time I got done forging, I had made three billets of multi-bar steel or steel/wrought combo.

Video coming soon to a YouTube channel near you.

three billets V2.jpg

The one in the middle is for this project. About 19 inches long, 1-3/4 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.

• Like 2

Looking good!  

I'm eager to see the video.

that is a great start. I am eager to see where it goes. Regarding larger heat treatment apparatus, I suggest either a barrel with a port in the bottom side and top middle and another hole on the top, opposite side, for hanging the blade in. The hole on the bottom is actually at the bottom of one side, not the true bottom of the barrel, so you can put a burner in. I use a 3/4" T-rex type. Line barrel with kaowool, all over the inside and put little wire loops to hold it. Takes about an hour to build, and if kept covered, will last almost forever. You have to put firebricks in the bottom to create a baffle/chamber for the initial flame to go into and be redirected/trapped, so that the heating is more by convection. You will have to fiddle with how much to cover each of the top openings, and how to arrange the bricks in front of the burner for awhile. Put two thermocouple ports in, right by where you will hang the blades. One low and one high. Futz around with arranging things until the two read within about 2 degrees C of each other. You will be able to find a balance that does this. I don't have a PID, I just use a needle valve and let the thing come up to temp and normalize across the vertical distance. Then, this arrangement works as well as an electric kiln, with less scale and decarb. Cheaper, too.

Or, the old standby, a trench that has another trench in the middle, at the bottom. Put a pipe with holes in bottom trench, layer with charcoal in the upper trench, and bury your blade in it. Make the pipe with enough holes that you can adjust the burn to the length of the blade you are heating. Add hair dryer in one end, and you are ready to heat treat.

Joshua - I know you already know about these things, but I thought I would write them out in case anyone new was reading. :)

keep us posted,

kc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Perfesser! I'm always welcome for good advice on my threads.

I recently acquired two well pressure tanks that were replaced with new ones......one of them will be turned into a HT oven for long blades. They both have a 1 inch MIP threaded hole in the center of the very bottom and a welded ring around the tank to keep it standing upright. You can still see the discharge pipe sticking out of the stand on the left tank. I figure I will cut the top off, line the tank and bring the burner up in the very bottom. Then I'll build a heat diffuser around it with some bricks. If I can weld another ring around the outside of the top, it should fit back onto the lower part pretty snug.

Well tanks.JPG

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 2

those will work great for ht furnaces. I like it!

They make great vertical smokers too !!................:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 12:11 PM, Clifford Brewer said:

They make great vertical smokers too !!................:D

Got any plans on how to do that? Because that sounds like a winner!

There are quite a few vids on you tube about building them, that's where I got my ideers from.

I have an old water pressure tank out back for my near future build, just need the weather to cool down some...........:D

• Thanks 1

Me thinks this is going to be cool B)

35 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

Me thinks this is going to be cool B)

Well, right now it's freaking hot here. 117*F today. I love forging, but this is ridiculous.

• Like 1