Now for something completely different

9 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I like where it's going :ph34r: 

8 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

Me thinks this is going to be cool B)

You guys referring to the forging project or the plans to make a smoker? :lol:

• Haha 1

I did some forging on the smaller 3-bar project. It was going well until the tang broke off. Anyway, I ended up with this.

OAL is 47cm, width is 4cm and the spine is around 7,8mm with no distal taper. I figure I'll get a blade about 35-36cm long

Forged (1) V2.jpg

Forged (2) V2.jpg

4 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

It was going well until the tang broke off

If you knew how many multibar tangs are laying around the bandsaw...  :rolleyes:  I feel your pain, in other words. 

• Like 1

"It's a Zen thing" - David Stephens

"I fail a lot, so I'm used to it." - J J Simon

3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

If you knew how many multibar tangs are laying around the bandsaw...  :rolleyes:  I feel your pain, in other words. 

Isn’t that what canister scrapmascus is for?

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

Isn’t that what canister scrapmascus is for?

You'll note I haven't thrown them out...;)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Minor progress today. It cooled down and Liz had to go up to Flagstaff for a few hours this morning, so I hit the forge.

Finish forging on the scramasax. 37 cm blade length, 48 cm OAL. Just shy of 4cm wide. This blade has some weld problems that hopefully, will grind out.

Scramasax V2.png

The big bar got drawn out and narrowed. It sits at 3 cm wide, almost 10 mm thick, and about 76 cm long.

Both bars V2.png

That big bar welded clean all the way around.

Big Bar close V2.png

• Like 1

Best wishes Josh and...man to get this far is a huge achievement on its own. That big bar Though is what I am excited about. 

• Thanks 1

Man this is hard work! 

The obligatory intermediate forging shots.

Intermediate forging (1).jpg

Intermediate forging (2).jpg

Intermediate forging (3).jpg

I need some lunch

• Haha 1

If it were easy everybody would be doing it. :lol:  Looking great so far.  Has it cooled off any out there?  

Yeah it's absolutely frigid for the Phoenix area. Hasn't gotten above 70*F for the last few days. (Edit: Liz says it will be 90 again by the weekend)

I got a little more done before the propane froze up (again, it went twice today)

Bevels started down the 60cm and a portion is at 4cm wide.

Intermediate forging (5).jpg

Edited by Joshua States
On 7/8/2020 at 5:45 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

Looking good!  

I'm eager to see the video.

The video has been edited and is currently uploading to my YT channel. I scheduled the release for Nov. 2, 2020, but at the rate it's uploading I may have to adjust the year. 22% after 12 hours....sheesh.

Edited by Joshua States
3 hours ago, Joshua States said:

22% after 12 hours....sheesh.

I feel your pain.  I volunteered to edit and upload the digital demonstrations that the NWBA is doing, before realizing that each one would involve 40+ minutes editing, 2+ hours converting the edited project to mp4, then the 4-6 hours to upload them to youtube.  I've learned to do that step either right before going to bed, or right before heading out to the shop, because it goes (slightly) faster if the computer is doing nothing else.

• Sad 1

I did some more forging today on that big bar. After doing the bevels and straightening the spine out, I hot cut off a section so I could make the tang.

Hot cut tang.jpg

Which left me with a small cutoff that just may be enough for a small by-knife.

Small cutoff piece.jpg

Somehow though, I lost it along the way. The widest point is right at 4cm, the narrowest is 3.8cm. I still have some hot work to do, but it's mostly just straightening and cutting the tip in. Considering this was all done by hand except for some of the tang got a litlle prompting with the powerhammer, I'm pretty happy with the way this is going.

Forged out (3).jpg

The only info I have on the length of the piece I'm using as a model, is that the blade is "more than 60 cm long"

This is the 60cm mark from the business end, so there is plenty of room to have a 15-17 cm tang.

60 CM mark.jpg

• Like 2

Today was going well until I decided to heat treat that smaller scramasax. I forged out a little blade from that cutoff (along with a Bowie and some other multi-bar project)

as-Forged.jpg

I developed a small crack in the edge bar of the seax.

Quenched (2) V2.jpg

Unfortunately, it's in a location that renders the blade unusable. I don't know if I will bother trying to salvage this one.

Quenched (3) V2.jpg

• Sad 1