Too far off the beaten path?

So I’ve been puttering around with this blade. Is it too far away from a traditional seax in your mind? I realize I have taken some constructive liberty in it.  I was hoping it would appeal to other people aside from my own geekiness ( typically fairly historical).  I’m still in the draw filing stage so there’s time yet for profile adjustments. Thanks for looking!

image.jpg

Ever since the seax rennaissance of 2005 that this forum started, as long as you don't claim it to be historically accurate there's no problem. B). I kind of like some of the free interpretations, actually.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan. Got everything down to the desired cross section and figured I’d etch it really quickly before heat treatment.  Everything looks solid so far but if it’s gonna go this will be where it goes pear shaped.

2C0BEACF-6A23-47AF-82D0-8870E9453EAE.jpeg

Posted (edited)

As Alan said, as long as you're putting it out there as your interpretation of the original it's all fair.  If you are wanting to get a little  closer to the original I would do a flat grind all the way to the spine.  I would also do a distal taper from the tip of the spine to the point of the blade and a proximal taper from the tip of the spine to the base of the blade.  Overall, I'd say that the general outline of the blade is spot on and you've left yourself enough tang to put a ;proper length handle on it.  I'll be interested to see it finished.

Alan, you mean we've been doing this for 15 years?  Lord, I just realized that I was an old f**t back then too.;)

Edited by Doug Lester
incomplete sentence
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

It’s flat filed throughout. I’m about to take a few days out on a lake in a cabin with my wife’s family.  I’ll take a block of wood, maybe African Blackwood, and some small tools I think.. lots of carving and cooking! 

Edited by Oberu
Posted (edited)

It kind of reminds me of #1. So, I don't think it's that far off the beaten path

8th century British.jpg

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

What do y’all think of the design on the paper? I left the initial scribblings on the blade for context. I’m thinking of dipping the whole blade in wax, scratching out the design, and then etching.  It’s either that or going full tilt into engraving it.. something I’ve never tried but have always wanted to try.

well not true.. but never wrought iron...

0FC68261-8C27-4EDB-B799-980DFD6CD335.jpeg

Edited by Oberu
  • Like 1

I like it.  Makes me think of a mix of Northern European and Northwest Native American art styles.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian Dougherty.  I really don’t want it to look Native.  I’ve redrawn a few times and I think I’ve got one I like.  What do you think of this one?

208F5823-56FE-401A-9273-ED31AA3E58A1.jpeg

• Like 1

FWIW, I think the second one's head is more abstract and therefor more like what I think of when I think of Nordic carving. I also think the knotwork on the first neck leans more into that flavor. I prefer the body in #2 over the body in #1, don't ask me why, I really cannot say.

• Like 1