Rustic Fillet knife

Rob Toneguzzo

Here is one I just finished up from a farriers rasp. I was originally going for more of a stiff boning Blade but decided to grind it thinner and give it more of an upward sweep. It still is on the stiff side but has enough flex and edge retention. I put a buffalo horn end cap which I could have fitted better but decided to keep it a bit rough to fit with the  rustic look. I am actually thinking of doing a full kitchen set like this. 

74447EC3-9845-465F-963B-E90A36892221.jpeg

AAAFCE7D-2545-4B5D-B014-7984E1932B5F.jpeg

2B6492A0-FDCE-4C1A-8E92-35041EA01AE9.jpeg

041F2DA2-03E2-4DC7-A60D-4BDA7975AC56.jpeg

D11F3D17-F996-44C4-AA19-FC2BEE1C9F6C.jpeg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 5

"Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes" - Tom HALL - Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon wine.

6 minutes ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

I am actually thinking of doing a full kitchen set like this.

Doooo eeet! Dooo eeet now!

• Like 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

44 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Doooo eeet! Dooo eeet now!

I have to do some housework first mate!

32 minutes ago, Oberu said:

What is the handle? Looks like it’s all a single piece 

Hi Oberu, it is all the one piece of rasp. I forge and roll the socket first then draw out the blade. I am enjoying this kind of blade as sometimes it is nice to not have to worry about scales, bolsters, pins, glue Etc and in my opinion it give a real “from the forge” feel. Still fine tuning my technique on my his style though.

"Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes" - Tom HALL - Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon wine.

Right on.. I've only done arrow heads as far as sockets go.  I was trying to wrap my head around it hehe... I was thinking maybe you'd upset it edgewise... I'd love to sit and watch you do one of these.  Very cool!

Edited by Oberu
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, 

Caught a nice Mangrove Jack for tonight’s dinner so I will give it a test out.

one of my favourite eating fish.

EF4D94E5-34A6-4050-ACF3-C352B638D50C.jpeg

25C72896-6221-4AFD-B9FB-5D19EEDAF53A.jpeg

That's a slick knife. How did you seal up the narrow end of the socket?

And I'd definitely call that an eating fish with those big sharp pointy teeth!

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Thanks fellas but sorry to disappoint. I did not close the socket on this. 

Here is pic of other side.

Just ate that fish. Awesome 

3C0E17FB-AF40-4E21-96F2-791DED34561C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Have you considered filling the socket with epoxy or another resin to keep fish parts from getting stuck inside? If you left the end open, I'd say that you could just wash it out, but I'd be a little concerned with not being able to clean it completely.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

5 hours ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Bummer. Was hoping for some inspiring words on how to close up so nicely ;).

BUT you forgot the most important report...HOW DID IT WORK?

7 hours ago, Bob Ouellette said:

Have you considered filling the socket with epoxy or another resin to keep fish parts from getting stuck inside? If you left the end open, I'd say that you could just wash it out, but I'd be a little concerned with not being able to clean it completely.

I had not considered that Bob. I could colour the epoxy black and do that for sure. The horn cap is a friction fit so I can remove it and run a brush through.I  am always looking to fine tune things.

4 hours ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

Bummer. Was hoping for some inspiring words on how to close up so nicely ;).

BUT you forgot the most important report...HOW DID IT WORK?

Worked well for that size fish Bill, I have a longer knife for bigger fish. Be great for breaking down chickens. Going to give a closed socket a go soon. Will start with a couple of arrowheads I think.