Posted (edited)

Hi Guys, 

Thought I would  post this WIP I did of a spearhead a while back for those who may not have done this before and might be interested in giving it a go. 

The same process for the rolled socket can be used for arrowheads, garden tools, knives etc etc. 

I started with a piece of leaf spring and first forged a bit of a waist with a tool I made. A pic of it is in my “WIP A Sword At Last” thread.  I used it to forge the fuller in the that sword and it still comes in handy.

Then with a cross pein I spread the metal and flared the socket. I do alternating heats where one will be hammering with the cross pein and the next is flattening out  the dents and spreading the steel.

Oh.. I make a paper template first so I know how much flare I need at the end to make the socket size I am after .. if that makes sense.

and with some careful taps rolled it in to the socket. I made a tapered mandrill of sorts to insert in the socket to true it up once rolled. It may look daunting but once you give it a go you will see it’s not too hard.

Once  the socket was forged I went to work on forging the blade out.

Once the blade is forged I do a couple of heats just to line everything up.

This is not the only or best way to do this but it has worked well for me.

6E9358FE-60C2-4295-A14F-4714254438DF.jpeg

CAFBDAA5-12CD-4C06-8D69-F8593C9B9AF9.jpeg

A663A820-FF21-42DF-8D50-7F1681994C8A.jpeg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

Damn fine work Rob! Thanks for the WIP. 

22 minutes ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

A663A820-FF21-42DF-8D50-7F1681994C8A.jpeg

Rob, damn fine work! I looked at this pic and I am thinking he said he was making a socketed spear. This look like the beginning of a tomahawk.

Then  how a mind works.jpg it hits me. I suddenly understand how the socket is done!!! 

4 minutes ago, C Craft said:

Damn fine work Rob! Thanks for the WIP. 

Rob, damn fine work! I looked at this pic and I am thinking he said he was making a socketed spear. This look like the beginning of a tomahawk.

Then  how a mind works.jpg it hits me. I suddenly understand how the socket is done!!! 

Hahah thanks CC.

Posted (edited)

Well I'm glad you figured it out, C Craft, but I don't get it.  Rob, I guess you're going to have to "walk" me through the process.  Do you fold the two halves over a mandrel to make the socket and then pull out the blade from your fuller-ed down mid-section???

Edited by Chris Christenberry
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Well I'm glad you figured it out, C Craft, but I don't get it.  Rob, I guess you're going to have to "walk" me through the process.  Do you fold the two halves over a mandrel to make the socket and then pull out the blade from your fuller-ed down mid-section???

Sorry Chris, hope these dodgy pics help.

7 hours ago, Brian Myers said:

Put some lugs on that and the boars won't stand a chance!!

next one Brian

C37DED06-39EB-42E5-82A8-62690FDB6EAB.jpeg

F672FF95-4196-4014-940F-6000EF0BA00F.jpeg

E24E0918-8BE5-4E4C-A012-0614B9DE0241.jpeg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Cool beans Rob.............B)

Indeed.  B)

Not "dodgy" at all, Rob.  Your sketches describe the process perfectly.  Thanks for taking the time to show me.

By the way, you sure do a nice job on those sockets.  I downloaded one of the pictures and "opened up" the shadows and could see the open slit on the socket.  I had misunderstood thinking you'd forge welded the slit together.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Not "dodgy" at all, Rob.  Your sketches describe the process perfectly.  Thanks for taking the time to show me.

By the way, you sure do a nice job on those sockets.  I downloaded one of the pictures and "opened up" the shadows and could see the open slit on the socket.  I had misunderstood thinking you'd forge welded the slit together.

No worries Chris, you can forge weld the socket closed if you overlap the slit. A pattern welded spearhead is on my list and I plan to do that.

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, very nice spear head! Really well done socket

• Thanks 1

Thanks fellas, 

I forged another Socket up today and took a couple of pics which may assist my drawings. 

CCD0F23A-193C-46FF-A1B1-B822A55AB0C9.jpeg

DE7D304A-34EF-4B4D-B524-8026CAE1F431.jpeg

3C48B4EF-518A-4760-A86A-759DE2C52139.jpeg

494FF28C-F413-4F1C-84E7-B8B7FEA4231E.jpeg

EFA53CEF-7EAA-4224-9D64-C4D4B7B2D36E.jpeg

• Like 2

You have a knack for this, of that I am certain. I have never tried this. Mostly because I still cannot visualize centering the blade over the socket and getting the round part even on both sides of the blade. Well done mate!

7 hours ago, Joshua States said:

You have a knack for this, of that I am certain. I have never tried this. Mostly because I still cannot visualize centering the blade over the socket and getting the round part even on both sides of the blade. Well done mate!

Thanks Josh, It is a good fun forging project. Esp when you need a break from pining and gluing handles . I know you would get it once you started. I started on arrow heads as just a quick practice. That being said.... I am only posting the ones that worked out. My graveyard of broken dreams has more than a few crumpled sockets.:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2