This billet of 52100 either side of mild steel was supposed to be a big blade, had a guard in mind and wanted to try a wire-wrapped handle.
Cracks decided otherwise, so I salvaged what I could.

Did a rough grind to makes sure it's welded properly, then tried to forge out a tang but the it delaminated  while drawing it out, so I was left with just the skinny mild steel for a tang.

Micarta (wool) wrap-on guard goes about 5mm onto the blade to strengthen that area, rest of the handle is Wild Olive. Very confident its strong enough after shaping the handle with the blade in a knife vice.
It sits great in the hand........and I have a loooooong list of what I think is wrong with it, would like to know what the horde thinks.

IMG_20200714_152534[1].jpg

IMG_20200714_152558[1].jpg

IMG_20200714_152631[1].jpg

IMG_20200714_152644[1].jpg

IMG_20200714_152659[1].jpg

• Like 1

I like it.  The pattern looks really good, it has a very nice organic flow to it.  Can't wait to see the next one.

Gerhard, it’s a great pattern regardless of the size. So, knowing what went wrong, I’d do some more.

Gary LT 

I realise it’s the elephant in the room but is it meant to be kinked?

I think my big problem is the knife just happened, that was always good enough for me but under the influence of this place I've learnt the value of making a design, a plan, and executing it.

A minor concern is the spine is unnecessarily thick, maybe not obvious from the photos, full flat grind so it shouldn't influence performance too much.

I wanted to use a darker wood, but my only options are all red hued woods, and I don't like the colour scheme. 

Looking at it now I'd rather have gone for the purple or turquoise wool I have for the guard.

One good thing, 52100 just takes a beautiful coffee etc B)

4 hours ago, Charles dP said:

I realise it’s the elephant in the room but is it meant to be kinked?

That was actually planned, but I went a bit too far. :wacko:

On 7/15/2020 at 2:59 AM, Gerhard Gerber said:

I've learnt the value of making a design, a plan, and executing it.

I cannot imagine where that came from!

On 7/15/2020 at 2:59 AM, Gerhard Gerber said:

my only options are all red hued woods, and I don't like the colour scheme. 

I actually really like red & black combinations.

I think that is the perfect knife to take mountaineering, just in case you had to cut something or open a can of food. The small size is perfect to toss into the pack, (not much weight there) and the stout blade would be good for a variety of very tough tasks one might have in the mountains.

• Thanks 1
On 7/18/2020 at 2:52 AM, Joshua States said:

I actually really like red & black combinations.

For the life of me, I cannot think why I was anti red&black, would've been better.

It's there on my WIP table (aka kitchen counter) being ignored........