I'm a novice knife maker and made this for a friend this week and could not for the life of me, find another similar type of sheath to learn from.. it sits well in the middle lower back, and hides under light jackets.. I was hoping for some more experienced honest critiques on design (not as much the leatherwork, was just a quick prototype) and thought y'all might know of a pic or two hidden somewhere you could share of one someone has made... I just can't believe I would be the first to have tried.. cheers

IMG_20200717_201911_908.jpgIMG_20200717_202327_904.jpgIMG_20200717_185515.jpgIMG_20200717_185521.jpg

6 hours ago, Jason King said:

I just can't believe I would be the first to have tried.. cheers

Looks pretty good!  You're probably not the first person ever to do this, but maybe the first to post a picture on the web, though.   It does look like it sits comfortably when standing, what about sitting?

I'm  curious as to what you did to separate the blades where they cross.

My first thought was that it may need a fraction more leather width in this area as that is the weakest point.

sheathg.png

I wont comment on the need for a pair of knives or any of the other thoughts that come to mind on the carry of them.

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)

I totally agree on that, Garry. I became excited and cut those slots with so little leather purchase, and tried it on before doubling it up from the back, and one side stretched to almost breaking... There is almost everything in the leatherwork that is poorly executed and I've made the"it's just a prototype" excuse, but it was... I need to work on more consistent, patience and discipline in all things.. and billyO, there is an empty void where the right blade slides on top of the left.. that's where it makes this the second prototype I tried the first one with two individual mirrored sheathes, that had that a few will play snaps the combined it into the one but it was pretty bulky. And thats where I'm hungry for wisdom. Oh, and sitting in a chair and lazing back in one as well we're the most comfortable... Two minutes forgot I was wearing them..  I am thin, so leaning back in a sofa or chair creates a void space as well in the lower triangle/sacrum(so?) of where they fit comfortably in.

Edited by Jason King
On 7/18/2020 at 1:13 PM, Garry Keown said:

My first thought was that it may need a fraction more leather width in this area as that is the weakest point.

sheathg.png

I wont comment on the need for a pair of knives or any of the other thoughts that come to mind on the carry of them.

The explanation is easier than you think.. my friend who commissioned the 2 knives, like me in the past, is an actor at 5 or 6 Renaissance Faires during the year, most of the time he's in pirate form, but him and his peers are always looking for some "rough around the corners" type of different garb and accessories.. I posted a completely new and final piece probably right before this one.. Hey, Garry Keown, thanks for chiming in on this, I do like to learn, and it takes folk like yourself to help with your honesty. Cheers

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Jason King said:

The explanation is easier than you think.. my friend who commissioned the 2 knives, like me in the past, is an actor at 5 or 6 Renaissance Faires during the year, most of the time he's in pirate form, but him and his peers are always looking for some "rough around the corners" type of different garb and accessories.. I posted a completely new and final piece probably right before this one.. Hey, Garry Keown, thanks for chiming in on this, I do like to learn, and it takes folk like yourself to help with your honesty. Cheers

I know about that area Jason as I offer  a cross draw sheath for many of my knives and while I didn't have a failure I did change my first pattern to make that area a little wider for the same reason. That is where all the hold is concentrated and any stress on the sheath translates to this area. Some of my cross draw sheaths are for those who go into areas where a failure could prove catastrophic to life and or limb.

This is from my website 

The J T Ranger.

The JT Ranger knife was designed in consultation with a former US Ranger and has a 5 1/2 in blade of .156 1095. This saber ground  blade with relieved top edge has the point in a direct line through the center line of the handle makes for a very directable knife with good retention values with the longer finger guard and a thumb rest for a power stroke. Supplied with either a standard strong side behind the hip vertical sheath or a weak side 45* butt forward cross draw sheath as shown with this one.

IMG_0115.JPG

And another one for a very different knife as used for hunting rather than defense etc

IMG_0053.JPG

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 1