Sign in to follow this  
billyO

Question about mercaptan (propane) smell

Good morning all.  I continue to hope everyone is staying healthy and happy these days.

Almost every time I fire up my forge, there's an ever so slight mercaptan odor.  I've checked and re-checked the lines and all the connections for leaks and can't find any.  I do have to move the forge in/out of the garage and connect/disconnect the forge from the tank every time I use it. 

Is the odor most likely coming form any residual gas in the hose after shutting it down and disconnecting it from the tank?

Thanks and stay safe.

I'd recommend taking some soapy water and apply it to every connection.  If you see bubbles forming, remove and reconnect.  Be safe and good luck!

5 minutes ago, Oberu said:

I'd recommend taking some soapy water and apply it to every connection.  If you see bubbles forming, remove and reconnect.  Be safe and good luck!

Thanks Oberu, but I've done that.  That's what I meant when I said:

1 hour ago, billyO said:

I've checked and re-checked the lines and all the connections for leaks

During time temp being extreme in either one way or the other, I have noticed that when I start up its as if the regulator had something trapped from the last time I fired up the forge.

If your working in the heat like I've got in the area here, also remember that the tank itself has a pressure relief built into it that will cause the tank to 'burp' as the gas expands from heat.  That around 130 degrees I believe but I was once working and got a heavy smell of gas in the air on a low tank.  I shut things down right away for fear that the heat cause the tank to bleed off a little. My garage at that time was probably 100 degrees without running the forge.

Always purge your supply system after use.  Myself I normally shut down the forge by a ball valve, shut the tank off, turn my regulator all up a few lbs, then open the ball valve to burn off any residual gas from the regulator and lines. The gas should not burn in the line, it is too rich, needs to get out of the line into the air to burn.

I also always disconnect my regulator from the tank after use and store the tank outside. It is technically not a good idea to store LP in a garage or any structure.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Daniel W said:

I also always disconnect my regulator from the tank after use and store the tank outside.

I do this as well.  

11 minutes ago, Daniel W said:

Always purge your supply system after use.

I've tried different ways of this, and not sure if I've noticed much of a difference.  I've tried shutting off the forge by closing the valve at the tank regulator with the forge still running which should(?) have purged the line (but I wonder about this because if there's no pressure from the tank driving the propane through the line, how does it get purged?).   I've also tried merely shutting off the power to the system, which closes the NC valves where the tank hose connects to the forge unit before closing the tank valve.  

Good idea on the relief valve, but I don't thinks it's that, because it hasn't gotten that hot here yet, and I'm a whimp when it comes to heat,  anything over 75 degrees is too hot for me. (Seriously dreading and not planning on not doing much forging for the next month or 2...:()

Edited by billyO

I think it's just residual gas smell in the lines.  

• Like 1