Jump to content

Recommended Posts

What do you guys think about, in terms of preference, advantages, resistance, aesthetics, market, and so on? I am a newbie and trying to decide which way I'll go on producing and sell my pieces. Thank you.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say not to lock yourself into one particular finish as it can limit your customer base. Learn how to do both and offer the choise for comissions but for your own works for sale  you can do as your please.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On a broader note, I'd also advise you to use the knives you make for a while. Invariably, you'll find things to improve, sometimes critical ones. ^_^

 

You can also post your designs here and ask for advice. Some specialize in hunters, others swords, others chefs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

I would say not to lock yourself into one particular finish as it can limit your customer base. Learn how to do both and offer the choise for comissions but for your own works for sale  you can do as your please.

Thanks, man. Appreciate. I share a workshop with a friend and he is selling all his blades with manganese phosphate treatment. Now I'm thinking to sell my pieces with satin finish and so we can sell pieces to the same client that wants to have both finishes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cassio Silvestre said:

Thanks, man. Appreciate. I share a workshop with a friend and he is selling all his blades with manganese phosphate treatment. Now I'm thinking to sell my pieces with satin finish and so we can sell pieces to the same client that wants to have both finishes.

Are you making the same style knives??

Do you have the same customer base??

Are you in partneship or individually setting up knifemaking business in the same premises??

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Garry Keown said:

Are you making the same style knives??

Do you have the same customer base??

Are you in partneship or individually setting up knifemaking business in the same premises??

 

We are in our first month of production together. Right now all the money we get with the knives will return in equipment to the workshop. We are producing the same style because we are reusing 1070 steel from log saws with thickness about 1,5mm, this limits the number of styles and different uses for the knives we make. But the idea with the new equipment and with the forged knives we put our own style in our own work.

We work in the same city, Belém do Pará - Brazil. Actually we are the first bladesmiths from here that work with handmade knives.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...