I finally got around to doing something I've always wanted to try; making my own blacksmithing hammer.  Head is just under #3 and total weight is exactly #3.5. Got to try it out the other day and it really moves metal. I can understand why Jeremy Blohm likes making them. On to making the damascus rock hammer...

Comments welcome. 

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

Forgot to say this started out as a 2 x 3.5 x 1.5 inch chunk of 4140 steel. Drilled two 1/4 inch pilot holes at the ends of where I wanted the eye (as I didn't have a punch then), then drifted the eye open. Eye is 1 1/4 long by 3/4 wide.

Got two more identical pieces I have to figure out what I want to do with them.

That looks looks like a really nice hammer. The eye came out exceptionally straight and centered!!!

On 7/29/2020 at 9:04 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

That looks looks like a really nice hammer. The eye came out exceptionally straight and centered!!!

Thanks Jeremy. I have you to thank for sending me down the hammer-making rabbit hole. Been seeing the ones you've been making and thought it looked like something different and fun to try. Plus I wanted to try working with a dog head hammer and couldn't justify the price on something I may not have liked. 

Working on a WIP rock hammer right now.

Think I'm going to use another one of the pieces of 4140 I have to make a rounding hammer.

Edited by Bill Schmalhofer
deletion/addition