My first sword, a ladder pattern Wakizashi, W.I.P.

Here is a Wakizashi I made from 1084,1095, and 15N20. IIRC it's around 110 layers. I made the billet and rough forging back in Nov. 2018. I made the tsuba from a left over end piece of Damascus and I drilled some shallow holes in it. I made the tsuka from bass wood and used G10 pins to hold the scales on.  I wrapped the scales with red stingray skin, and wrapped that with synthetic Ito wrap. The entire sword weighs 1 1/4 lbs. The balance point is right at the plunge line. I still need to make a habaki and a saya for it. I know it's not traditional. I always wanted one so I made it to my liking. I didn't want the spine to be as thin as it is but that's what happens when you try to grind the edges freehand. I slipped and messed up so I figured out a way to hold it in my angle fixture so I could finish grinding the edges and fix my mess up. Edge bevels are 15° included angle and I took the edge down to .010" thick before I sharpened it.  After the first temper it was still 65 RC, so I tempered it again at 400° after etching in coffee and it turned a nice gold/amber color. Now it is around 60-62 RC. This is the first time I ever did tsuka-maki and it came out alright, but I'm not real happy with it. I think I could have done it better and more even, but until I have time to straighten it out, it'll have to do. Overall, I'm really happy with how the whole thing turned out. It swings real easy and cuts small tree branches really well. I'm going to try some other sharpness tests on it this weekend. What do you think? Constructive criticism welcome.

Dimensions are:

edge length is 16.5"

tang is 7"

tsuka is 10"

weight = 1 1/4 lbs.

thickness is .156" at the habaki area, .125" near the tip.

edge bevels are 15° included angle

Waki001.jpg

Waki002.jpg

Waki003.jpg

Waki004.jpg

Waki005.jpg

Waki006.jpg

Waki007.jpg

Waki008.jpg

Waki009.jpg

Waki010.jpg

This pic looks like it's on fire.

Waki011.jpg

I figured out how to install oval pins!

Waki012.jpg

Waki014.jpg

Waki015.jpg

Waki016.jpg

Waki017.jpg

Waki018.jpg

Waki019.jpg

Waki020.jpg

Waki021.jpg

Edited by Paul Carter
  • Like 1

Simply stunning, don't know or care if everything is in the right place and called by the right name, it's looks pretty and deadly, like a good reason to make Kill Bill 3

B)

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Simply stunning, don't know or care if everything is in the right place and called by the right name, it's looks pretty and deadly, like a good reason to make Kill Bill 3

B)

Thank you for your comments! Kill Bill 3, now there's something I hadn't thought about. LOL!