New Member: How do you like to package orders being sent away?

G'day 

This is my first post on here, so g'day to everyone and I'm looking forward to getting to know a few other makers (most likely in this here digital realm I suppose). 

I thought I'd put a question out there, as to what other makers do for the packaging of their orders- primarily kitchen knives, or knives that aren't naturally parred with a sheath (such as hunting/camp/belt knives etc.)

I've been making and selling chef and kitchen related knives on a semi full time basis for about a year now, and have flitted between making a wooden box, making a wooden scabbard or just some plain old cardboard.. 

While I know there is not necessarily a definitive answer, I would be interested to hear how other makers send off their knives, and whether anyone has any feedback as buyers of knives and what they like/dont like. 

Cheers, 

Dan

I send all my kitchen knives in a leather slip cover. Like a sheath but lighter leather and no belt loop, so that is is protected in transit. Most have some means of keeping the knife in protected place in the kitchen whether it is a chefs roll or magnetic rack on the wall, knife block on the bench or knife draw with individual places for each knife so the slip cover only has to protect it in shipment. I wrap all my knives in  cloth squares with the data sheet and guarantee +my card and then in bubble wrap in the protected shipping bag.

And welcome to the forum Dan.

Edited by Garry Keown

you have to have something to keep the person that is opening the package safe from getting cut by the knife and it should also protect the knife in case the person already has a knife and is going wild with the box.

make sure the knife isnt going to poke through the box and make absolutely sure that the box isnt just going to open up in transit, the flat rate shipping boxes you can get from one of the shipping companies are supposed to keep themselves closed but i have read about them coming open. the person receiving one empty flat rate package noticed that the weight they put on the package was 0.0lbs and so he thought he just got ripped off which wasnt the case.

i think i have taped knifes to the box making absolute sure that they wouldnt be separated.

when you make a good knife and sell it to someone it could last a hundred years, but if you lose it to anything its gone forever.

Thanks for your input. Probably not the most thrilling part of knife making / selling, but it's the little things that sometimes play on the mind after everything is all done and dusted. 

Cheers, 

Dan 

• 2 months later...

I found some boxes online that are suitable for my smaller knives, cost is fairly minimal (perhaps a couple of $ each, when 25 were bought at once) - I then had a rubber stamp made which was very inexpensive online (might have been $30 delivered next day from order, with a couple of ink pads!!) - I use the stamp for 'certificate / letterhead / label's etc. Very satisfying to use, think it stems back to potato prints as a kid!

I use a bit of hessian to line the box. Fits OK with my rustic looking knives. Customers love the boxes, it adds an extra level of value to the knife for basically peanuts. And gives me a bit of pride packaging and posting. It also makes the knife very 'giftable' which was definitely lacking with my old 'duck tape' sheath!  

I am looking to find an inexpensive source for larger boxes for my Gyutos etc. In the mean time, I am wrapping the blade neatly in brown corrugated card, and bumping it with the rubber stamp. Looks surprisingly OK. Cant find any pics of one wrapped this way on my phone though!

rr2sJ80.jpg

fv8XVe5.jpg

CWdp5Su.jpg

Edited by John N
pic embedding issue

Oh, and welcome to the forum ! it is one of few quiet sanctuaries left on the internet in my honest opinion <_< 

Please share some pics of your work! 

Great idea, John.  I never would have thought of that, thanks for sharing.  

Looks like it's time to finalize my maker's mark.  I've been thinking about it for only 3-4 years now. 

No point in rushing things, right?:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, billyO said:

Great idea, John.  I never would have thought of that, thanks for sharing.  

Looks like it's time to finalize my maker's mark.  I've been thinking about it for only 3-4 years now. 

No point in rushing things, right?:rolleyes:

I spent far too long without a blade stamp, and the potato print stamp. It was such a buzz to get them and have *my* makers mark I should have done it much sooner than I did. I have always taken satisfaction from my work, but to give my making, effectively a brand, has been rewarding in its own right. 

It was awesome the first time I saw a thread on a chef knife, or some such forum, with one of the replies being 'have you considered a Did**** forge knife they look great?'

(** I don't really mention my forge name on here, as it will top page on google and potential customers will see all my ramblings :unsure:)