Does anyone know how to fix one of these things when they decide to just output EEEE all the time? I have two of them that just bailed at 2200*F for no apparent reason.

Can you get the SS shielding off (without damaging it)?  If so, the thermocouple wire itself is easy to repair, or even replace.  I am assuming the thermocouple wire is just inside a sealed tube.  

It does not appear to disconnect from the handle. There seems to be some small wire sticking out the business end.

Hmm, I guess it says that the connection is exposed, so that makes sense.  And the wire is not broken?  Is it loose at all?  Can you pull the wires out a little bit?  Maybe one side more than the other?

I cannot pull the wires out. There are 2 ends showing

Thermocouples are pretty simple, the two dissimilar metals just have to be in good contact.  The ideal is to weld them (I like TIG, but oxy-acetylene works, too), but you can also just twist them together.  If you have enough wire sticking out, see what you can do.  If you think they are toast anyway, you can try tearing them apart to run new wire through the SS sheath.  The plain wire (with a ceramic weave coating it) will be much cheaper.  

• Like 1

So, just clean the ends, twist them together, and see if that works? Maybe try TIG. If that doesn't work, toss it out and buy a new one......

Thanks Jerrod!

That is what I would do, except I would try to pull the thing apart and see about a complete rebuild before tossing it.  It would be interesting and possibly save money in the long run.  But that is just me.  

Sounds like more work than the $50 it takes to buy a new one.

Josh,

I'm curious why you chose that particular thermocouple.  Is it more accurate than the ceramic type?  This is what I use in my forge:  CR-2-2__60591.1530282520.JPG

But it's been acting crazy recently.  Won't register a temperature until it gets up in the 1600 degree range.  Weird.  Been considering something more accurate.

Posted (edited)

The one I purchased was recommended by several folks on this forum. Where did you get yours and what is it?

I used to have one from Omega that was good to 3000*F but they don't have any that go there anymore. At least not in the filter section

Edited by Joshua States

The SS sheath is much sturdier.  The ceramic breaks if you accidentally hit it.  

13 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Josh,

I'm curious why you chose that particular thermocouple.  Is it more accurate than the ceramic type?  This is what I use in my forge:  CR-2-2__60591.1530282520.JPG

But it's been acting crazy recently.  Won't register a temperature until it gets up in the 1600 degree range.  Weird.  Been considering something more accurate.

13 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

The ceramic breaks if you accidentally hit it

When I ordered mine from Auberins, I got a second ceramic sheath that fits over the entire thing for extra protection for $20.

Sheath.jpg

When I have had issues with it not reading properly, I started by checking the screws where the wires connect.  I've had to cut back an inch or so of the wire to get a new, clean connection the last time mine was acting weird.

• Like 1

That's interesting, Billy.  I thought about cutting back the connecting wires........................but haven't gotten around to it.  As soon as the temp gets up into the 1600 degree range it starts registering on the meter.  But it has had me wondering how accurate it is while acting wonky like that.  I'll cut back the wires today and see if that corrects it.  Thanks for the tip.

Joshua, I think I bout it here:  https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-K-Type-Thermocouple-Ceramic-Furnace/dp/B07G3PBNNG

Edited by Chris Christenberry