I did an experiment where I tried to forge weld little pieces of broken Hacksawblade for the cutting edge of a small kiridashi.

The hacksaw steel welded to itself flawlessly!

But...it did not weld to the low carbon steel body.

Wikipedia says hacksaws are HSS.

I'm flummoxed, why did it weld to itself but not the low carbon body?

IMG_20200808_203405.jpg

IMG_20200808_203904_640.jpg

Modern hacksaw blades for hand hacksaws are not usually HSS, although they may have HSS teeth welded on.  The ones that say "bi-metal" have HSS teeth, the ones that don't are something like L6 or 15N20.  

I'm going to guess the low carbon wasn't hot enough.  Low carbon needs to be a bit hotter than high carbon to weld to itself, and while usually a high carbon/low carbon weld will take at the temperature the high carbon likes, sometimes it doesn't.  

• Like 1

But I tried welding it at different temps,

I started low and when it wouldn't weld, then ramped it up to lightly sparking.

I don't get it.

Is this blackmagic-sacrifice-a-cicken-and-hope-for-the-best?

Not sure what steel it was, I only know it was over 50years old and probably not bi-metal

2 hours ago, J.Leon_Szesny said:

blackmagic-sacrifice-a-cicken-and-hope-for-the-best

At this point, yes. :lol:

• Haha 1

Always a good idea to be drinking a beer and sprinkle some on the billet before it goes in the forge. That, plus sacrificing a chicken should appease the gods enough for your purposes I'd think ;)

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

the outside of the billet will cool faster before hammering, it could be as simple as that, ie on such a tiny billet with no thermal mass its just not hot enough when you hit it!

Forge welding is much easier when you have a decent amount of material to weld, and then draw to thickness. For example if I want 5 mm san mai material, I would start with 3 layers of 6mm. Welding thin stock is not easy at all!

• Like 1