Bob Ouellette

KITH Sign-up

Ok,

Here are the rules:

1. Sole authorship must be yours

2. All metal parts must be spring steel material (pins and nuts are an exception)

3. Natural materials only for the handles and sheaths

4. Sheaths strongly encouraged

5. Non ferrous materials allowed for embellishment

6. Must be your best work

If you want to sign up, post your name and screen name here, PM me, or e-mail me at bobsironwork@hotmail.com.

I forgot to add a finish date - to keep with the theme of spring, lets have the draw on March 20, the first day of spring. That should give everyone plenty of time to make their blades :D.

Edited by Bob Ouellette

sign me up of course.........It was my hairbrained scheme....lol

Joe Mandt

Add me to the list. I had a great time doing the KITH on Primal Fires.

Adlai Stein

Edited by Macabee

Andrew, I don't see why it would be, as long as you follow all the other rules.

Here's what we have so far:

1. Bob Ouellette

2. Jared Thibault (T-BO)

3. Mark Hendricks (anarcher)

4. Joe Mandt (jmd61)

5. Adlai Stein (Macabee)

6. Andrew Garrett

Edited by Bob Ouellette

Hey,

Would it be OK to buy bar stock for this( i.e. a steel considered to be spring steel)

or does it have to be a recycled spring?

Thanks,

:D

Gary

i'll weigh in on this one.....It should be ok to buy...i know some people don't have the proper tools to safely go to the self service scrap yard and remove the springs from a car or truck and the yard generally won't lend them to you or do it for you for cost and liability reasons. i had that problem early on and that was about the only source in my town. (I live in a very built up urban area) Just make sure that it is nice round edged 5160 bar stock and not PG O1 or W1.... :lol: You may have to buy a fullbar , but the stuff is nice to have around. The primary reason that I suggested this materiel was that not only is it easy to find, but it is also easy to work. Smiths.....(and grinder boys...lol) should be able to produce excellent blades with this stuff without the heartache of cracks and failed heat treating.

Joe Mandt

Edited by jdm61

:D OK then, count me in!

I might even be able to scroung up an actual spring........

I seem to remember saving some broken coils from a snowmobile wreck I had a couple years ago...... hmmmm..... :D

Later,

Gary Blessing

I'll give it a shot, can't promise that my blade will stack up with ya'll beatiful work, but ill do my best :rolleyes:

what steels would be considered spring steel besides 5160?

Edited by T-BO

I would say 5160, 9260, 6150 and any unidentified scrap that is already in the form of a spring :P .........i previously excluded PG W1, but i know that Sheffields and others technically sell very tiny W1 stock to be used for locking springs for folders, but I will defer to Mr. Oullette and others for the call on that one. Still say no precision ground bar stock stuff. So unless they make bigger spring stock from W1 than the 1/8 x 1/8 stuff, that may eliminate it anyway unless you want to pound it out from round bar. i say that because supposedly the best 5160 comes in round bar and some people love the physical punishment and emotional stress of pounding that stuff, so i would not be inclined to exclude the more masochistic smiths from our little KITH...lol But nothing sold specifically as "tool steel" Any thoughts?

Joe Mandt

Jared,

I would say anything that is designated as "spring steel" or already in spring form can be used.

okay, Bob....that's easy enough......yes, i have been accused of overanalyzing....lol

:wacko: Okay Joe, that settles it... I officially designate you to be the over analist for this KITH ;) The duties of you new possition is to over anyalize EVERY post in this thread from now on :ph34r:

Well I had a lot of fun with the last kith on primal fires. So what the hey I'm IN!! Darrel Aune :ylsuper:

hey.......don't get me started on what constitutes a natural handle materiel.......i had to think long and hard.....huh, huh, huh, huh........about whether to allow petrified walrus winky cause i find it indecribably nasty :lol:

hey.......don't get me started on what constitutes a natural handle materiel.......i had to think long and hard.....huh, huh, huh, huh........about whether to allow petrified walrus winky cause i find it indecribably nasty :lol:

36062[/snapback]

I may have to agree with you on that last point... but I still won't rule it out. Only because I think everyone else feels the same as us. If not, I am truly disappointed -_-

Up dated list:

1. Bob Ouellette

2. Jared Thibault (T-BO)

4. Joe Mandt jmd61)

5. Adlai Stein (Macabee)

6. Andrew Garrett

7. Gary Blessing (Ice Tigre)

8. Stephan Fowler (stephanfowler)

9. Darrel Aune

This sounds like fun so i guess you can sign me up.

Regards Bob

New list... sorry I'm late getting it posted been quite a bit busy with finals then work. But here it is:

1. Bob Ouellette

2. Jared Thibault (T-BO)

4. Joe Mandt jmd61)

5. Adlai Stein (Macabee)

6. Andrew Garrett

7. Gary Blessing (Ice Tigre)

8. Stephan Fowler (stephanfowler)

9. Darrel Aune

10. Fred Flage

11. Robert Mayo

Glad we're gettin' more people... makes it more interesting :D