Paragon anvil by soderfors (Swedish)

Hello, this is my first post, i just bought a 66 Lb paragon anvil, it cost me $25 dlls but at that moment i did'n know how good it was, now I discover the ''sweden'' and ''paragon" tags on it and I wonder what is the real price of it and if it's a good anvil to work.

It is in good condition, should I clean it?

I am just starting on this so thank you for the advices and regards from Mexico!

IMG_20200902_105134560.jpg

IMG_20200902_105149586.jpg

• Like 2

Bienvenidos!  Paragon/Soderfors are among the best anvils made.  They tend to be very hard, which makes for good rebound, be be careful around the edges.  The hardness means you can chip the edges more easily than some.  Good score!

• Like 2

I agree to everything mentioned.Wire brush it and post another pic,are you planning to use it or sell it?I would just wire wheel/brush the top face and see how that surface is under whats pictured

Edited by Mike Jesensky
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Bienvenidos!  Paragon/Soderfors are among the best anvils made.  They tend to be very hard, which makes for good rebound, be be careful around the edges.  The hardness means you can chip the edges more easily than some.  Good score!

That's a good new! thankyou

If you sell it you're not going to be able to find another at that price to replace it.  If it were me, which it isn't, I'd hold onto it it at least until I was certain of what I wanted to do.  It is a little light for bladesmithing but my first anvil was smaller and I had one that weight that I used for my hardy tools until someone relieved me of it.

Doug

On 9/2/2020 at 9:45 PM, Doug Lester said:

If you sell it you're not going to be able to find another at that price to replace it.  If it were me, which it isn't, I'd hold onto it it at least until I was certain of what I wanted to do.  It is a little light for bladesmithing but my first anvil was smaller and I had one that weight that I used for my hardy tools until someone relieved me of it.

Doug

Yes, you are right, i want to start making some knives and i think it's gonna be perfect for those projects, thank you.