Casting a Star Wars Kettlebell?

Wow. Thanks for all this, Jarrod!

My plan to get the wax model is to simply buy a plastic helmet make a silicon mold around it, then pour wax into the empty space. 

Alan: Jeff's setup is perfect. That's exactly what I'll use. I even have the kaowool lying around already. I see he uses a blown burner, think it would work with the venturi burners from my chileforge? 

Dave

I just saw you post about induction forges, and noticed that the one you say is like yours is 15kW.  I assumed 3kW when I was doing the math (as noted in that post).  At 15kW I would be super tempted to use that to melt with!  Figure it should get 30-45 pounds at once!  Probably doesn't have the duty cycle need based on the specs on Amazon though.  Bummer.  

Edited by Jerrod Miller

Yes, it's a 15kw. Perhaps I'll use it for the 10lb baby Yoda kettlebell trial run.  Love that idea, plus my daughter is a huge baby Yoda fan, a set of those would make great Xmas presents.

BTW: I'm super excited about getting a cease and desist letter from Disney for all this . . . lol. Their lawyers are said to be absolute piranhas about this stuff, even if someone isn't doing it for commercial use.  

I think a pair of Chili burners would do it.  The "furnace" ventilation might need some tuning, since a blown burner doesn't care about exhaust port size, but the Chilis are good burners.

Very useful info here guys, thanks for the new ideas Jerrod! 

Dave, if you're decided on doing it in bronze, I cant recommend ceramic shell moulding too highly. It's relatively cheap, very easy to make moulds of any shape (except hollow) and you can build up as many layers as makes you feel comfortable (10-12 is what I've found is most reliable). If you think you could heat enough bronze up to do a single pour, I'd say this is the way to go.

James

20180825_113133.jpg

20180825_161126.jpg

20180826_122236.jpg

7 hours ago, James Higson said:

If you think you could heat enough bronze up to do a single pour, I'd say this is the way to go.

You can do it with multiple pours, too!  Just make sure you have a layer of wax around the metal in the mold first.  Once the wax is all melted out the metal will rattle around, so be careful handling it so you aren't hammering on the inside.  Then it becomes really easy to have pre-heated metal in there, as you should always pre-heat investment shells before pouring.  Alternatively, you could try a single pour with just a bit of liquid metal (I would think 50% would be the minimum liquid I'd start playing with).  Put some shot or slugs of metal in the de-waxed shell, and le them heat up with the shell prior to pouring.  If you get it near enough to the melt temperature, and pour your liquid metal pretty hot, you may get pretty good fusion.  This would take some trial and error I would think, though.  

Cool, yeah didnt think about that Jerrod, sounds like a good plan! My shells are pretty flimsy so I'd be worried about a crack when jostling it about like a ham fisted northerner but if you do a better job than I do and use more shell material Dave, I'm sure they would be plenty strong enough.

Plans are coming together! Today I spoke to none other than our long-lost brother in beard, Jake Powning, for tips on the casting. As many of you might know, Jake's father is an nationally-recognized artist in Canada who casts large bronze sculptors, among other things, so Jake has a ton of experience with this large casting of silicon bronze.  I now have a good idea of how to sprue this, etc. I need to buy a few bits of equipment, but this, along with the generous help I've already received from Jerrod and Alan, should make this quite do-able. 

Oh, and by the way, after doing a bit of on-line research on how draconian Disney lawyers can be on these sorts of things, I want to be clear that I am NOT casting a Boba Fett or Mandolorian helmet kettlebell.

Nope. Not what's happening here. 

I am casting my interpretation of a Medieval Italian Sallet helmet. I will be adding a bit of a modern interpretation to this recreation, which might look a bit similar to the lines of those copyrighted products of the Disney Corporation and their patriotic (and no doubt quite handsome and intelligent) attorneys, but this is merely a coincidence.

You guys have to back me up on this one . . .

Grins,

Dave

Helmet, Italian Barbute(sallet), c. 1470

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dave Stephens said:

I am casting my interpretation of a Medieval Italian Sallet helmet.

It must be true, I read it on Bladesmithsforum

Edited by billyO
1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

In that case Dave, I'd recommend you flatten the peak of the helmet out for safety.  I've swung a few kettlebells, and that peak could do some damage to the hand.

Definitely. As I said, the modifications to this Italian helmet recreation may end up looking suspiciously similar to the Boba Fett helmet, but it will NOT be a copy of said copyrighted image . . .  

12 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I'd recommend you flatten the peak of the helmet out for safety. 

If you're open to suggestions, I'd also consider reinforcing the sides where the handle is going to attach, something like this:

H5390-L60891378.jpg

You know, better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.